- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- 2013 SEA GAMES: 8th day results involving Malaysia
- Tears as Mandela lies in state
- Three nations close to joining Chemical Weapons Convention
- Najib leaves for Tokyo
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Terengganu: Aid only for pvt schools registered with ministry
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Why judge those who help sincerely?
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 11 commando trainees, 2 instructors to get Pingat Gagah Berani
- Demolished without any warning
- Tutu home burgled during visit to Mandela memorial
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91 More
KUALA LUMPUR: A massive traffic jam is reported to have occurred at the North-South Expressway (PLUS) at the Sungai Besi Toll Plaza heading to the city centre this morning following the closure of the SMART tunnel.
A PLUS spokesman when contacted this morning said the congestion was detected to have occurred since 6.30am.
Traffic on the lane heading to Seremban, however, was moving smoothly, the spokesman said.
Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel (SMART) in a statement today said that its highway had been closed to traffic from 8pm last night due to heavy down pour and to enable the SMART flood tunnel to be operational.
"We appeal to motorists for their patience and co-operation and heed our advice on the closure through the media announcement, variable message sign (VMS), Smart Tunnel website at www.smarttunnel.com.my; twitter @smarttunnel or via Smart Tunnel Facebook," it said.
The Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) operations room, when contacted, said that several areas were experiencing traffic jams believed to be due to the heavy rain.
Among the areas that were experiencing traffic congestion were the New Klang Valley Expressway from Shah Alam heading towards Subang and ELITE
Highway from Putrajaya heading towards Seafield, the spokesman said. -- BERNAMA