- MH370 Tragedy: Authorities hope to deploy more AUVs: Hishammuddin
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Transcript shows ferry captain delayed evacuation
- Karpal Singh's Death: A picture of grief at the hospital
- MH370 Tragedy: Search to be most costly ever at US$100mil: analysts
- Karpal Singh's Death: Some mourners are still in disbelief
- Karpal Singh's Death: "I told him to only go back this morning", says Gobind
- Karpal Singh's Death: Lorry driver relates fatal accident
- Karpal Singh's Death: Bukit Gelugor MP killed in crash, son injured
- Karpal Singh's Death: Liong Sik describes Karpal as a cheeky student
- Everest Avalanche updates: 12 killed, 3 missing
- Don't be apologetic in defending national interests, media told
- UPDATE: 6 dead, 9 missing in avalanche on Everest
- NSTP wins big at MPI-Petronas Awards
- Public urged to take precautionary measures against MERS
- 7.5-quake rattles southern Mexico: USGS More
KUALA LUMPUR: A massive traffic jam is reported to have occurred at the North-South Expressway (PLUS) at the Sungai Besi Toll Plaza heading to the city centre this morning following the closure of the SMART tunnel.
A PLUS spokesman when contacted this morning said the congestion was detected to have occurred since 6.30am.
Traffic on the lane heading to Seremban, however, was moving smoothly, the spokesman said.
Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel (SMART) in a statement today said that its highway had been closed to traffic from 8pm last night due to heavy down pour and to enable the SMART flood tunnel to be operational.
"We appeal to motorists for their patience and co-operation and heed our advice on the closure through the media announcement, variable message sign (VMS), Smart Tunnel website at www.smarttunnel.com.my; twitter @smarttunnel or via Smart Tunnel Facebook," it said.
The Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) operations room, when contacted, said that several areas were experiencing traffic jams believed to be due to the heavy rain.
Among the areas that were experiencing traffic congestion were the New Klang Valley Expressway from Shah Alam heading towards Subang and ELITE
Highway from Putrajaya heading towards Seafield, the spokesman said. -- BERNAMA