- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Judge orders Philadelphia faith-healing couple held in son’s death
- Thousands throng temples nationwide
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square More
KUALA LUMPUR: A massive traffic jam is reported to have occurred at the North-South Expressway (PLUS) at the Sungai Besi Toll Plaza heading to the city centre this morning following the closure of the SMART tunnel.
A PLUS spokesman when contacted this morning said the congestion was detected to have occurred since 6.30am.
Traffic on the lane heading to Seremban, however, was moving smoothly, the spokesman said.
Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel (SMART) in a statement today said that its highway had been closed to traffic from 8pm last night due to heavy down pour and to enable the SMART flood tunnel to be operational.
"We appeal to motorists for their patience and co-operation and heed our advice on the closure through the media announcement, variable message sign (VMS), Smart Tunnel website at www.smarttunnel.com.my; twitter @smarttunnel or via Smart Tunnel Facebook," it said.
The Malaysian Highway Authority (MHA) operations room, when contacted, said that several areas were experiencing traffic jams believed to be due to the heavy rain.
Among the areas that were experiencing traffic congestion were the New Klang Valley Expressway from Shah Alam heading towards Subang and ELITE
Highway from Putrajaya heading towards Seafield, the spokesman said. -- BERNAMA