- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- MCA's '3 kingdom' battle
- Restaurant owner survives shooting
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- 2nd Penang bridge to be opened in Feb 2014
- Manhunt launched for bogus interpreter at Mandela’s memorial service
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- New-look Perdana is govt official car
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Celebrations on hold
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 'Time to put the past behind us' More
Ministry carries out programmes to create Asean Community
KOTA KINABALU: The Information, Communications and Culture Ministry through the Information Department is actively carrying out programmes to foster friendship, understanding and cooperation among Asean countries in the information sector towards the creation of the Asean Community by 2015.
Sabah Assistant Finance Minister Datuk Tawfiq Abu Bakar Titingan said such programmes prioritised dissemination of information as well as public understanding and awareness on Asean and the region.
"Among the programmes implemented are the Asean Quiz, information officer exchange programme, visit exchanges by the 1Malaysia Community, Community Information Cluster, and Village and District Consultative Councils involving Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia," he said at the closing of the "Kenali Asean (Know Asean) 2012 programme at Centre Point, here, today.
Tawfik, who is also state information committee member, said the programme including Kenali Asean aimed to increase the community's understanding and knowledge on Asean so that there could be joint cooperation for the region's well-being.
"The programmes to be carried out will be reported at the Asean Ministers Responsible for Information (AMRI) meeting and to the relevant technical committees periodically," he added.
The two-day programme organised by the Information Department from yesterday is a platform for information sharing on Asean at all levels of society and to enhance Asean socio-cultural understanding.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, or Asean, was established on Aug 8, 1967, in Bangkok, Thailand by Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
The Asean region now has a population of 600 million and 10 member countries including Brunei Darussalam, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia. -- BERNAMA