- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- HOCKEY: Juniors come good
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- 3 Japanese firms keen to participate in S'pore-KL rail link project: PM
- Malaysia lose to Thailand, Myanmar in sepak takraw
- Norway offers to fill empty Swedish prison cells
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- Chinese flyby of asteroid shows space rock is "rubble" More
Ministry seeks allocation to develop Kedah agriculture sector
ALOR STAR: The Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Ministry will be hoping for that Budget 2013 will take into account the importance of further developing the agriculture sector in Kedah, especially rice cultivation.
Its Deputy Minister Datuk Mohd Johari Baharum said among issues that needed attention was flood mitigation projects as it could affect the rice production in the state.
"Under the National Key Economic Areas (NKEA), there is a RM2 billion allocation for Muda Agricultural Development Authority (MADA) (to upgrade the infrastructure to increase the rice production), but without flood mitigation projects, it will still be a problem," he told reporters after attending an Aidilfitri gathering, here today.
Yesterday, Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Azizan Abdul Razak said the state government hoped to be allocated some funds in Budget 2013 to overcome the flood problems faced by the state, to protect rice production.
Mohd Johari said flood mitigation projects were needed in the state.
Meanwhile, MADA Chairman Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid said they needed about RM22 million to upgrade the drainage system in its area to curb worsening land erosion problems. - Bernama