- 4 killed in 3 cars and motorcycle crash at MRR2
- 18-year-old chef killed in motorcycle-taxi crash
- No extension — It’s 60 from July 1
- Govt agency head held over 'khalwat'
- 'Respect decision made by majority of Malaysians'
- Man held over housewife's death in abuse case
- Nokia's affordable handphones
- Preparing for the politics of change
- Mother, daughter stranded at airport
- Four die in 4-vehicle crash
- Couple want missing daughter to return home
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Faiq overcomes the odds
- Two in motorcycle convoy to Desaru killed in crash
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into US parade More
KUALA LUMPUR: The number of students entered for Cambridge qualifications by schools across Malaysia has risen significantly over the past year.
Schools in Malaysia made over 54,000 entries for Cambridge IGCSE and Cambridge International A Level, seeing a rise of 10% since 2011.
There are now over 100 Cambridge schools in Malaysia. More than 9000 schools in 160 countries make up the Cambridge learning community worldwide.
Cambridge IGCSE subjects which are the most popular among students in Malaysia are Mathematics, English and Malay. The Cambridge International A Level subjects which are most popular are Mathematics, Business Studies and Economics.
Ben Schmidt, Director for Asia Pacific, University of Cambridge International Examinations said, "Our programmes and qualifications have a proven reputation for providing students in Malaysia and around the world with an excellent preparation for university, employment and life. We support schools to develop students who are confident, responsible, reflective, innovative and engaged. This approach fosters an active learner who has a love of learning, is self-directing and engaged at all levels with their education. The increasing numbers of students taking our qualifications in Malaysia show that schools are aware of the value of this approach and the importance of an international education in today's global economy."
Cambridge IGCSE is the world's most popular international qualification for 14-16 year olds. It is recognised by leading universities and employers worldwide as evidence of academic ability and is taught by over 2600 schools worldwide.
Cambridge International A Level, typically for learners aged 16 to 19, is regarded as a passport to success in education, university and employment. It is taken by thousands of learners every year who gain places at leading universities worldwide. It develops a deep understanding of subjects, as well as independent learning and constructive thinking skills - abilities which universities value highly and is taken in over 125 countries. - Bernama