- MISSING MH370: Man claims possible sighting of airliner
- MISSING MH370: Raja Bomoh arrives to help find missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane
- MISSING MH370: Mystery deepens as oil, debris links ruled out
- MISSING MH370: Investigators chasing 'every angle'
- UPDATE: Missing aircraft's pilot makes contact, rescue mission resumes
- MISSING MH370: How can jet disappear?
- MISSING MH370: Boeing joining Malaysia crash investigation
- MISSING MH370 : Businessman who cancels flight shocked over missing MAS plane
- MISSING MH370: Search for vanished Malaysia jet widens as frustrations grow
- MISSING MH370: No objects found
- MISSING MH370: Help from bomohs must be in accordance to Islam
- Kids begged father not to go
- MISSING MH370: Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- MISSING MH370: MAS to allocate 31,000 Yuan financial assistance More
ALOR STAR: Menteri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir today officially offered himself to contest for the Umno Vice President post, ending weeks of speculations on his position in the party.
The state Umno liaison committee chairman and Supreme Council member made the most anticipated announcement in a packed Dewan Seri Mentaloon at the Menteri Besar's official residence here.
Mukhriz will be joining two Umno veterans Tan Sri Mohd Isa Abdul Samad and Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam in the race for the three Umno VP slots currently held by incumbents Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, Datuk Seri Mohd Shapie Afdal and Datuk Seri Hishammuddin.
The three Umno VPs had earlier announced that they were defending their post in the upcoming party polls.
The party members and political observers had been speculating on Mukhriz's next move since he was appointed as the 10th Kedah Menteri Besar after Barisan Nasional wrested the state from Pas during the 13th General Election in May.
During the announcement today, Mukhriz also confirmed that he is contesting for the Jerlun Umno division chief post.
The state Umno also introduced three candidates from Kedah who are running for the Supreme Council post.
They are Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Mohd Jamil Khir Baharom, Energy, Water and Green Technology deputy minister Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid and Baling member of Parliament Datuk Abdul Azeez Rahim
Meanwhile, in a Bernama report, Mukhriz said his involvement in national politics was not to create a family dynasty although his father, Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, was prime minister for 22 years, but because he himself was interested in politics.