- 54-year-old man first M'sian to die from MERS
- Tun M: Why keep the Causeway?
- Latest: More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub on second mission
- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- MH370 Tragedy: American Navy ship involved in SAR docks at Westport
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub aborts again
- Russia rules artist who nailed scrotum to Red Square 'committed no crime'
- MH370 Tragedy: Najib raps Anwar for absurd claims
- MH370 Tragedy: If filed, lawsuits by families might not get heard in US
- MH370 Tragedy: More countries offering help in SAR, says Hishammuddin
- Suspected drug pusher held in raid, 51.5g heroin seized
- India election: Bollywood urges voters to shun Modi's party
- Jaip enforment personnel assured of better security More
PETALING JAYA: Cabinet ministers will be joining one million volunteers in the nationwide My Beautiful Malaysia Day gotong-royong programme on Sunday.
The four-hour event organised by 1Malaysia For Youth movement will be held at 100 locations nationwide.
Chief Secretary to the Government Datuk Seri Dr Ali Hamsa said a huge turn-out was expected at the event which will involve volunteerism-based activities.
These include gotong-royong at selected areas, repair works and repainting of buildings, and planting of trees.
The programme will be launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak at Taman Medan Cahaya here, while other ministers, menteri besars and chief ministers will be joining volunteers in other states.
Najib’s deputy, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, will be joining volunteers in Muar, Johor.
“The objective of the programme, held in conjunction with 2013 as the Malaysia Volunteerism Year, is to instill the spirit of volunteerism among youths.
“The programme can help direct our youths to use their spare time for good causes and help the society,” he told reporters after observing preparations for the event at several locations in Taman Medan Cahaya here today.