- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- HOCKEY: Juniors come good
- 3 Japanese firms keen to participate in S'pore-KL rail link project: PM
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- Chinese flyby of asteroid shows space rock is "rubble"
- Norway offers to fill empty Swedish prison cells
- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- Malaysia lose to Thailand, Myanmar in sepak takraw
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating More
PETALING JAYA: Cabinet ministers will be joining one million volunteers in the nationwide My Beautiful Malaysia Day gotong-royong programme on Sunday.
The four-hour event organised by 1Malaysia For Youth movement will be held at 100 locations nationwide.
Chief Secretary to the Government Datuk Seri Dr Ali Hamsa said a huge turn-out was expected at the event which will involve volunteerism-based activities.
These include gotong-royong at selected areas, repair works and repainting of buildings, and planting of trees.
The programme will be launched by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak at Taman Medan Cahaya here, while other ministers, menteri besars and chief ministers will be joining volunteers in other states.
Najib’s deputy, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, will be joining volunteers in Muar, Johor.
“The objective of the programme, held in conjunction with 2013 as the Malaysia Volunteerism Year, is to instill the spirit of volunteerism among youths.
“The programme can help direct our youths to use their spare time for good causes and help the society,” he told reporters after observing preparations for the event at several locations in Taman Medan Cahaya here today.