- S. Korea Ferry incident: Body of boy who raised alarm believed found
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Parents of victims attack top official
- MH370 Tragedy: Opposition leader warned from speculating on missing plane
- Obama lookalike takes it in stride
- Dog attack victim doesn't want family to know ordeal
- S'gor police bust biggest money laundering syndicate
- Firefly flight forced to turn back shortly after take off
- MH370 Tragedy: MAS has settled about 96 per cent claims from Chinese families
- MH370 Tragedy: RMN's Bunga Mas 6 reaches search area
- MH370 Tragedy: Material washed ashore Augusta not from missing plane - ATSB
- MISSING MH370: Co-pilot's brothers seen carry clothes and toiletries
- Owner of dogs which attacked three and tore off scalp of maid remanded
- Indonesia international school faces new sex abuse claims
- Obama's visit a recognition for Malaysia, says Jamaluddin Jarjis
- KD Tunku Abdul Rahman submarine proves RMN's capabilities More
Najib sets next five years as take-off stage for ECER
KUANTAN: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has set the next five years to be the take-off stage for the East Coast Economic Region (ECER) in its efforts to produce a society of high-income earners in the region.
Najib said for five years, basic development and infrastructure had been undertaken in the region and to date it has attracted investments of over RM50 billion.
"I believe the ECER's target to attract RM110 billion in investments by 2020 can be achieved," he said at a dinner to celebrate ECER's 5th anniversary here tonight.
The prime minister said to ensure that the development in the ECER was carried out as planned, the federal government has allocated about RM6.6 billion to implement 111 projects in the region under the 9th and 10th Malaysia Plans.
He said during the five-year period, ECER had created 40,000 jobs and the ensuing economic benefits had helped to transform the different strata of society.
Najib said among the investors at ECER were Kaneka Group, CJ CheilJedang, BASF PETRONAS and Volkswagen.
"The world-class industrial estates in ECER are Biochemical Complex in Gebeng, Pekan Auto City, Gambang Halal Industry Park and Heavy Industry Park in Kemaman," he said.
He said he wanted ECER to bring benefits to the people via Gagasan 1Malaysia and to focus on a small area.
He said the Empower ECER programme, which has benefited about 22,000 people, aimed to ensure that each participant would generate up to RM20,000 in income a month. -- BERNAMA