- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- Cars burnt as workers riot in Singapore's Little India
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- Murder of 3 sisters: Mother pleas for stop on rumours
- New PTPTN rules soon
- Josiah Ng out of intensive care, stable
- New Miss France says proud of 'cosmopolitan' country
- Boat with 13 commandos feared capsized
- Former RMAF chief Mohamed Ngah dies
- US singer wows in 'Arabs Got Talent' show
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- Islam to be religion of federation, says Najib
- Lamborghini owners lodged report on evening of crash
- Hockey: Malaysian Juniors qualify for quarter-finals at Junior World Cup
- 'No place for Shia' More
KUALA LUMPUR: Senator Datuk S. Nallakaruppan was found liable by the High Court of making defamatory statements against opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim in 2008.
Anwar's counsel Latheefa Koya said Nallakaruppan has to pay damages and costs to Anwar which will be assessed by the court's senior assistant registrar later.
Earlier yesterday, judge Datuk Su Geok Yiam heard submissions from the parties in her chambers on Anwar's application to strike out Nallakaruppan's statement of defence.
Latheefa told reporters that Anwar made the application on grounds that Nallakaruppan had failed to furnish further and better particulars on the allegations he made against Anwar.
"The court agreed with our submissions and a judgment over liability was entered against Nallakaruppan," said Latheefa.
She added that Nallakaruppan's lawyer Datuk Seri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah told the judge that he would appeal against the decision.
In the suit filed in 2008, Anwar claimed that Nallakaruppan had uttered the defamatory statements against him during a ceramah in Permatang Pauh in August 2008.
He said Nallakaruppan had caused the publication of articles in two Malay dailies entitled “Didakwa terima RM60 million” (Alleged to have received RM60 million) and “Anwar terima RM60 juta” (Anwar received RM60mil) on Aug 23, 2008.
Nallakaruppan, in his statement of defence filed on Jan 14, 2009, had admitted to have uttered those words which were published in the newspapers.
He said the words were uttered during the Permatang Pauh by-election and also in defence to Anwar’s accusation against him.
He further claimed that the statements were true in substance and in fact. - Bernama