- Man sorry for assault on wife
- Anwar's creepy cameo
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Death of Mandela: Passing of a great leader
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- FLOOD: Flood victims at relief centres exceed 50,000
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- 'Cult followers may be out for more hits'
- Tribute to King of Thailand
- Floods fail to deter couple
- PM's speech inspirational, motivating'
- Jln Cenderawasih permanently closed since Nov 15: DBKL
- Indian court orders fresh trial for Bollywood's Khan
- 11,000 go without power in Terengganu
- Malaysia's national economic transformation initiatives won world's accolades More
ALOR STAR: A Nigerian student of a private college in Kuala Lumpur was sentenced to death by the High Court today for trafficking in 16,936g of cannabis two years ago.
Judicial Commissioner Mohd Zaki Abdul Wahab ruled that the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt against John Amaechi Eze, 23.
The accused was found guilty of committing the offence in front of Lye Huat Garden hall in Jitra about 9.30pm on May 10.
In his judgment, Zaki said the accused claimed he was waiting to board an express bus to Kuala Lumpur at a restaurant in front of the Lye Huat Garden hall when he was arrested by police.
However, he said the court did not believe his claim that he did not own the luggage when witnesses had testified that he was with the luggage all the time.
"The court also found that the accused had failed to prove the bag was not his," Zaki said.
Deputy public prosecutor Wan Nor Hasnita Wan Daud prosecuted while Eze was represented by Ali Munawar Razak.