- 3 Lamborghinis up in flames
- Anwar's creepy cameo
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Death of Mandela: Passing of a great leader
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Floods fail to deter couple
- FLOOD: Flood victims at relief centres exceed 50,000
- 'Cult followers may be out for more hits'
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Tribute to King of Thailand
- PM's speech inspirational, motivating'
- Indian court orders fresh trial for Bollywood's Khan
- Flood relief boat capsized, six passengers escape death
- Jln Cenderawasih permanently closed since Nov 15: DBKL More
No limits on current conversion licence during Aidilfitri
KUALA LUMPUR: The Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) will not set any limits on the issuance of the Current Conversion Licence (LPS) to express bus companies during the coming Aidilfitri festive season, said its chairman, Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar.
"The LPS will be valid from Aug 13 to Sept 2. We are issuing the LPS early to avoid late approvals besides ensuring that the services will not be affected during the festive season," he told reporters after opening the Peninsular Malaysia Express Bus Operators Association's annual general meeting here today.
He said more LPS applications were expected this year compared to over 2,000 last year.
Syed Hamid said there would be no control of routes to any destination this year as imposed on additional express bus operators last year.
SPAD will open applications for the LPS beginning July 16 until Aug 10 to express bus companies wishing to use school buses, factory buses, chartered buses, stage buses and tour buses for express bus services for the coming Aidilfitri festive season.
However, the buses should not exceed 15 years of age, have valid road tax and insurance coverage.
On taxi and bus touts, Syed Hamid said SPAD would resolve the problem with bus operators in an effort to flush out syndicates before the festive holiday.
"The problem is difficult to overcome. We plan to set up a central booking system to deter consumers from buying tickets from touts," he said, adding that there was no reason why consumers should buy tickets from touts as there would be enough seats during the festive season.
He said the Integrated South Transport Terminal and the Melaka Central-Urban Transformation Centre were free of touts while the tout problem at the Pudu Sentral and the Larkin Bus Station, Johor Baharu was not serious.
He said SPAD would carry out an operation against touts with the cooperation of the Road Transport Department and the police. -- BERNAMA