- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- Universal shuts down 'Fast & Furious 7' production
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use
- Woman killed in crash
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico More
Perlis anti-smuggling unit detains 35 Myanmar nationals
KANGAR: The Perlis Anti-Smuggling Unit (UPP) detained 35 Myanmar nationals, including two women, at a sugarcane farm in Chuping, near here, for attempting to enter the country illegally.
Its commander Deputy Superintendent Zakaria Abd Rahman said a team of UPP personnel came upon the group during a patrol at 3.50am.
They tried to evade arrest by running in all directions but the personnel managed to surround and apprehend them, he said, adding that they would be handed over to the Immigration Department for further action.
He said up 100 people were believed to have left Myanmar since 10 days ago and gathered at a banana farm in southern Thailand to wait for syndicate members to transport them to Malaysia where they would work illegally.
Zakaria said the 35 illegal immigrants, aged between 16 and 35, might have come from this group.
Perlis UPP has so far this year arrested 264 illegal immigrants, mostly Myanmar nationals. -- BERNAMA