- CYCLING: Josiah in major crash
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- First catenary traffic light launched
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- Teenage boy drowns after getting trapped in quicksand
- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- 17 shoplots gutted in morning blaze
- Spanish 'ghost' airport goes up for sale
- Petronas reports major gas find
- 5 killed in crash
- House owners return to begin the big clean-up
- Rare riot shocks Singapore
- Neocolonialism of our place names More
Pet shop owners pleads guilty to neglecting 30 cats
Petaling Jaya: Two men, who are owners of a cat care centre, pleaded guilty in the Magistrate's Court here today to 30 counts of neglecting the welfare of 30 cats to an extent of causing unnecessary pain and suffering to the animal last year.
Magistrate K B Elena Hong Tze Lan set June 28 for sentencing. Shahrul Azuan Adanan, 29, and Yushairi Khairuddin, 29, had initially pleaded not guilty to the charges last December.
On all the 30 counts, Shahrul Azuan and Yushairi are jointly charged with wantonly or unreasonably neglecting to feed and care for the animal resulting unnecessary pain and suffering to the cats.
They are charged with committing the offence at the Petknode Online Pet Store, No. F001B, Level 1, Plaza Seasons Square, Jalan PJU 10/3, Damansara Damai, Selangor, between Sept 3 and 4, 2011.
Earlier, their lawyer, Syariful Nizam Shahruddin, said that his clients' act did not tantamount to animal cruelty. However, Hong said that based on the post mortem report, the cats had been neglected for a long time.
Prosecuting officer from the Veterinary Department, Jamadi Badri, prosecuted. Meanwhile, more than 30 pet lovers, clad in black and red clothing, gathered outside the court. -- Bernama