- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- Woman killed in crash
- Spain arrests man with vast child porn haul
- Malaysia shows improvement in Maths and Science More
MANILA, Philippines: The Philippines has appointed a new ambassador to China amid a 2-month-long standoff with Beijing over a contested shoal in the South China Sea.
President Benigno Aquino III’s spokeswoman Abigail Valte said Saturday that Aquino has nominated retired diplomat Sonia Brady as ambassador to China, with jurisdiction over North Korea and Mongolia.
Brady was formerly ambassador to Beijing.
The Philippines has been without an ambassador to China since last year. A Filipino-Chinese businessman earlier nominated for the post failed to pass Congress’ Commission on Appointments.
The Philippines on Monday filed its 7th diplomatic protest with China since the standoff began, accusing Beijing of sending more vessels to Scarborough Shoal, which both countries claim. -- AP