- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- BANTING MURDER: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands get death
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- S. Korean girl killed by suicide jumper
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- PKR may postpone party election this November
- Britain calls emergency meeting after man killed in London
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- Atheists are good if they do good, Pope Francis says
- Three people killed in road accident More
MANILA, Philippines: The Philippines has appointed a new ambassador to China amid a 2-month-long standoff with Beijing over a contested shoal in the South China Sea.
President Benigno Aquino III’s spokeswoman Abigail Valte said Saturday that Aquino has nominated retired diplomat Sonia Brady as ambassador to China, with jurisdiction over North Korea and Mongolia.
Brady was formerly ambassador to Beijing.
The Philippines has been without an ambassador to China since last year. A Filipino-Chinese businessman earlier nominated for the post failed to pass Congress’ Commission on Appointments.
The Philippines on Monday filed its 7th diplomatic protest with China since the standoff began, accusing Beijing of sending more vessels to Scarborough Shoal, which both countries claim. -- AP