- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- 3 Japanese firms keen to participate in S'pore-KL rail link project: PM
- HOCKEY: Juniors come good
- PM: Malaysia moving into 2nd phase of LEP More
SHAH ALAM: Two members of Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) are reportedly under investigation over a complaint of irregularity in the "Jom Shopping" (Let's Go Shopping) programme voucher introduced by the PKR-led Selangor government.
PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail, who disclosed this today, said one of them had been suspended from the party pending completion of the investigation.
Saifuddin said the party took the action after being informed that the Selangor government was investigating a complaint on irregularity in the voucher involving two party members.
"PKR views the matter seriously and on June 13 2012, through its political bureau, instructed the party's disciplinary committee to take appropriate action, including issuing a show-cause letter," he said in a statement.
Saifuddin said PKR would not compromise with any member who commits misconduct, more so when the offence tarnishes the party's good name and status.
The Selangor government introduced a one-off RM100 shopping voucher to needy people aged 60 and above in the state on July 15 last year.
A sum of RM10 million was allocated for the programme from the revenue garnered from sand mining undertaken by Kumpulan Semesta Sdn Bhd (KSSB), a state government subsidiary.
Meanwhile, Selangor Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim, when asked to comment on the matter, admitted that there had been abuse of the voucher by some people, and said the state government had identified five or six cases.
"Although only five or six individuals are involved, the state government does not take the matter lightly and has left it to the (state) audit authorities to take the appropriate action," he told reporters after attending a special programme with the people of Klang district in Kampung Batu 4, Kapar.
Abdul Khalid said the state government had a database of the names of senior citizens eligible for the voucher.
He said RM8 million had been spent so far on the programme and questionable expenditure involved only a sum of about RM6,000. BERNAMA