- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- Trio detained for making seditious remarks
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- BANTING MURDERS: Full Judgement
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- New passport improvement
- BANTING MURDERS: Guilty verdict brings closure for victims' families
- U.S. academics back BP in oil spill payouts battle
- BANTING MURDERS: Chronology of events
- MACC begins investigation on payment in under-age rape victim case
- Immigrations Dept keeping watchful eye over foreigners
- Graphic sex in applauded lesbian love story gets Cannes buzzing
- Probe into teachers using social websites to slander govt - Ahmad Said More
PM: 1 Azam programme effective in eradicating poverty
KUALA LUMPUR: The involvement of 80,579 people in the 1Azam programme shows its effectiveness as a strategic effort by the government to eradicate poverty, says Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
He said the programme which started in 2010, targeted the involvement of the low-income group from all communities including the Indians, Orang Asli and Bumiputeras.
"Out of this number, 3,280 participants are Indians, 59 are Orang Asli and 390 from Bumiputera minority groups," Najib said in his written reply to Chong Eng (DAP-Bukit Mertajam) in the Dewan Rakyat today.
Chong wanted to know the programmes targeted at eradicating poverty among the communities mentioned.
Najib, who is also acting as Women, Family and Community Development Minister, said the ministry through the Social Welfare Department had spent
RM1.35 billion to provide aid to 473,928 recipients nationwide.
"This number includes 52,022 people from the Indian community, 1,396 Orang Asli and 2,323 from other minority groups," he said.
To a question from Fong Po Kuan (DAP-Batu Gajah), Najib replied that as minister responsible for the ministry, he was committed to seeing social development moving in tandem with the nation's economic development.
"My leading the ministry enables me to implement more initiatives which directly benefit those in need of assistance at the grassroot level.
"I hope that all other relevant government agencies and concerned parties like non-governmental organisations, the corporate sector, academics and members of society will work together with me to raise the social development and prosperity of Malaysians," he said. -- BERNAMA