- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- Spain arrests man with vast child porn haul
- Woman killed in crash
- Malaysia shows improvement in Maths and Science
- 4 plunge to deaths in Polish industrial chimney More
Puad Zarkashi: Schools should hire capable security firms
KUALA LUMPUR: School authorities should only hire security companies which have the skills and capacity to ensure students' safety, said Education deputy minister Dr Mohd Puad Zarkashi.
Schools should select companies which adhered to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on safety matters within and outside the school compounds, he added.
"I urge all security companies with contracts of service with schools to ensure their personnel are trained, have clean records and follow the SOP, especially to monitor movements in and out of the school compounds," he told reporters after closing the Mekar Language and Literature Day here today.
Dr Puad also welcomed Home Affairs minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein's recent suggestion to place People's Volunteer Corps (Rela) members to guard the immediate vicinity of schools.
The language and literature day was held for the first time by Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka to encourage the correct use of Bahasa Melayu among primary and secondary school children. --BERNAMA