- Anwar guilty of sodomy, gets five years jail
- Taib's son spared jail as court strikes out ex-wife's contempt application
- African student shot dead near college in Mantin
- Hasni: We haven't lost our right
- Xbox One makes hot debut as console war revs up
- Nintendo forecasts net loss, slashes Wii U sales target
- Couple to hang for murdering maid
- Billion-ringgit undersea cable project
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Anwar sodomy trial: Defence witness was not consistent with his testimony
- Home Ministry bans publication of 'Ultraman The Ultra Power'
- 2 German tourists assaulted in George Town
- PM: Malaysia hopes to develop stronger links with British industry
- Nation's interests before my own popularity, says Najib
- TV3 seeks review of defamation ruling by Appeals Court More
Rape suspect arrested after six years in hiding
SUNGAI PETANI: A man, wanted in connection with a cruel rape and murder case of a marketing executive six years ago, was arrested by the police on Tuesday.
The 31-year-old man, who has been on the run since 2006, was ambushed and detained at the Kuala Lumpur In ternational Airport in Sepang, Selangor. It was learnt that the suspect is the son of a prominent “Datuk” in the state.
State Criminal Investigation Department chief, Assistant Commissioner Zakaria Ahmad, said the suspect had arrived from Perth, Australia when he was picked up by the police.
“We never closed the investigation file for the case. In fact, we had been updating new leads for the case every two weeks since the murder.
“The police have been working closely with our coun terparts in other countries to locate the suspect,” he told reporters.
Zakaria said police had also obtained a seven-day remand order from the Sungai Petani magistrate's court here on Wednesday.
The suspect landed on the police wanted list for his suspected involvement in the murder of Chee Gaik Yap.
Chee was 25 when she was raped and murdered on Jan 15, 2006.
The victim was jogging with her younger sister when she was abducted near a popular recreational club here at 7pm.
Her semi-nude body was found nine hours later with a 10cm wound on top of her head, while her neck was almost severed.
A post-mortem confirmed that she was raped after being knocked out by a heavy blow to the head.
It was learnt that police suspected the suspect's in volvement in the case following a DNA test conducted on him when he was called to assist investigation six years ago.
The suspect however escaped arrest when he left the country after performing the DNA test.