- Tun M: Why keep the Causeway?
- Latest: More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks
- 54-year-old man first M'sian to die from MERS
- Russia rules artist who nailed scrotum to Red Square 'committed no crime'
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub aborts again
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub on second mission
- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- MH370 Tragedy: American Navy ship involved in SAR docks at Westport
- MH370 Tragedy: Najib raps Anwar for absurd claims
- MH370 Tragedy: If filed, lawsuits by families might not get heard in US
- Dr M: Muslims must portray Islam as simple religion
- MH370 Tragedy: More countries offering help in SAR, says Hishammuddin
- Storm damages Tasik Heights Apartment residents' cars
- India election: Bollywood urges voters to shun Modi's party More
Rape suspect arrested after six years in hiding
SUNGAI PETANI: A man, wanted in connection with a cruel rape and murder case of a marketing executive six years ago, was arrested by the police on Tuesday.
The 31-year-old man, who has been on the run since 2006, was ambushed and detained at the Kuala Lumpur In ternational Airport in Sepang, Selangor. It was learnt that the suspect is the son of a prominent “Datuk” in the state.
State Criminal Investigation Department chief, Assistant Commissioner Zakaria Ahmad, said the suspect had arrived from Perth, Australia when he was picked up by the police.
“We never closed the investigation file for the case. In fact, we had been updating new leads for the case every two weeks since the murder.
“The police have been working closely with our coun terparts in other countries to locate the suspect,” he told reporters.
Zakaria said police had also obtained a seven-day remand order from the Sungai Petani magistrate's court here on Wednesday.
The suspect landed on the police wanted list for his suspected involvement in the murder of Chee Gaik Yap.
Chee was 25 when she was raped and murdered on Jan 15, 2006.
The victim was jogging with her younger sister when she was abducted near a popular recreational club here at 7pm.
Her semi-nude body was found nine hours later with a 10cm wound on top of her head, while her neck was almost severed.
A post-mortem confirmed that she was raped after being knocked out by a heavy blow to the head.
It was learnt that police suspected the suspect's in volvement in the case following a DNA test conducted on him when he was called to assist investigation six years ago.
The suspect however escaped arrest when he left the country after performing the DNA test.