- MH370 Tragedy: 'Unidentified material' under investigation
- S. Korea Ferry incident: Body of boy who raised alarm believed found
- Obama lookalike takes it in stride
- MH370 Tragedy: MAS has settled about 96 per cent claims from Chinese families
- Firefly flight forced to turn back shortly after take off
- MH370 Tragedy: New independent international investigative team established
- MH370 Tragedy: No hesitation from Petronas to find new assets for search
- Dog attack victim doesn't want family to know ordeal
- Siberian husky crashes car into Mercedes in supermarket
- US actress Jodie Foster marries girlfriend
- Man died while trying to save a puppy
- Proton eyes China production
- MISSING MH370: Co-pilot's brothers seen carry clothes and toiletries
- S'gor police bust biggest money laundering syndicate
- Search to go on, says Aussie PM More
Rape suspect arrested after six years in hiding
SUNGAI PETANI: A man, wanted in connection with a cruel rape and murder case of a marketing executive six years ago, was arrested by the police on Tuesday.
The 31-year-old man, who has been on the run since 2006, was ambushed and detained at the Kuala Lumpur In ternational Airport in Sepang, Selangor. It was learnt that the suspect is the son of a prominent “Datuk” in the state.
State Criminal Investigation Department chief, Assistant Commissioner Zakaria Ahmad, said the suspect had arrived from Perth, Australia when he was picked up by the police.
“We never closed the investigation file for the case. In fact, we had been updating new leads for the case every two weeks since the murder.
“The police have been working closely with our coun terparts in other countries to locate the suspect,” he told reporters.
Zakaria said police had also obtained a seven-day remand order from the Sungai Petani magistrate's court here on Wednesday.
The suspect landed on the police wanted list for his suspected involvement in the murder of Chee Gaik Yap.
Chee was 25 when she was raped and murdered on Jan 15, 2006.
The victim was jogging with her younger sister when she was abducted near a popular recreational club here at 7pm.
Her semi-nude body was found nine hours later with a 10cm wound on top of her head, while her neck was almost severed.
A post-mortem confirmed that she was raped after being knocked out by a heavy blow to the head.
It was learnt that police suspected the suspect's in volvement in the case following a DNA test conducted on him when he was called to assist investigation six years ago.
The suspect however escaped arrest when he left the country after performing the DNA test.