- Karpal Singh's Death: Bukit Gelugor MP killed in crash, son injured
- Karpal Singh's Death: A picture of grief at the hospital
- Karpal Singh's Death: "I told him to only go back this morning", says Gobind
- Tun M: Why keep the Causeway?
- Karpal Singh's Death: PM extends his condolences to family members
- Latest: More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks
- Karpal Singh's Death: Tributes pour in
- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- 54-year-old man first M'sian to die from MERS
- Karpal Singh's Death: " Penang had lost a son," says Lim Guan Eng
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- MH370 Tragedy: Robot sub makes first complete search
- Karpal Singh's Death: Mukhriz extends his heartfelt condolences
- MH370 Tragedy: uFly fires flight simulator who appeared on CNN
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Fears grow for hundreds missing More
KUALA LUMPUR: A restaurant worker suffered 80 percent burn in a gas explosion at a restaurant in Jalan Bukit Bintang near Low Yat Plaza here today.
The worker in his 30s suffered burn injuries on the back and hands in the noon incident.
Hang Tuah Fire and Rescue Department chief Halim Mustaffa said four fire engines from Hang Tuah and Jalan Pudu Fire station together with 24 firemen were deployed to the area after receiving a call at 12.50pm.
“We reached three minutes later. By the time we get there, the fire had dwindled. We took 10 minutes to put out the fire,” said Halim.
He said the victim has been taken to Kuala Lumpur Hospital for further treatment.
“Initial investigation showed that the incident happened in the kitchen area on the first floor of the two-storey building restaurant when the victim went up on the leakage after smelling of gas,” said Halim.
He said the explosion only caused damages to the kitchen area.
Although the explosion may have been caused by gas leakage, Halim said the exact cause is still being investigated by the Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue forensics team.
It is understood that there were three workers in the restaurant when the incident happened. All of them were on the ground floor when they smell of gas.
The power suddenly went off. At that point one of them went up to check on the source of the gas smell when the explosion occurred.
It is also understood that the restaurant only been opened six months ago.