- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- S. Korean girl killed by suicide jumper
- KL vehicle number plates to start with W, ends with A
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- Apek back in the dock
- Immigrations Dept keeping watchful eye over foreigners
- US soldier accused of secretly taping naked women
- Moyes is the real deal
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases More
RTD proposes highway concessionaires extend toll discount period
KOTA BARU: The Road Transport Department (JPJ) has proposed that highway concessionaires extend the period for toll discount and rebate during the festive season.
Its director-general, Datuk Solah Mat Hassan, said the discount and rebate for only a few hours had resulted in motorists rushing to beat the deadline and this contrbuted to the jams at the toll plazas.
"It is better for the concessionaires to extend the period to consider the interests and safety of the highway users," he told Bernama here today.
The concessionaires of 24 expressways agreed to offer discount and rebate of between 10 per cent and 37.5 per cent for class 1 vehicles in conjunction with this year's Hari Raya and Merdaka Day celebrations.
Solah said the launch of 'Op Selamat' on Aug 12, JPJ has inspected 1,470 buses and 975 of them were found to have brake problems and the tyres were in poor condition.
"The 1,470 buses were part of a group of 6,299 buses given the current conversion licences by Land Public Transport Commiassion in conjunction with Hari Raya," he said. -- BERNAMA