- 'No jobs for medical grads next year'
- Housemaid dies of shock during house break-in
- SEA GAMES: Malaysia lose 3-4 to Indonesia
- 6 foreigners die in car crash
- Fatal accident: British victim's family to reclaim body
- ASB unitholders to get 7.70 sen for a unit, also one sen bonus for a unit
- Six people killed in an accident at Kampung Pandan
- PMR: Girl defies sleeping disorder to score 8A's
- Australia welcomes possible ceasefire in Syria
- MCA 2013 : Youth passes 17 resolutions for party survival
- Indian national and teenage woman found murdered in apartment
- Malaysian boy on holiday killed in front of mother
- Azih Muda is new Cuepacs president
- Kedah records improvement in PMR 2013
- Court dismisses defamation suit by Gardenia More
RTD proposes highway concessionaires extend toll discount period
KOTA BARU: The Road Transport Department (JPJ) has proposed that highway concessionaires extend the period for toll discount and rebate during the festive season.
Its director-general, Datuk Solah Mat Hassan, said the discount and rebate for only a few hours had resulted in motorists rushing to beat the deadline and this contrbuted to the jams at the toll plazas.
"It is better for the concessionaires to extend the period to consider the interests and safety of the highway users," he told Bernama here today.
The concessionaires of 24 expressways agreed to offer discount and rebate of between 10 per cent and 37.5 per cent for class 1 vehicles in conjunction with this year's Hari Raya and Merdaka Day celebrations.
Solah said the launch of 'Op Selamat' on Aug 12, JPJ has inspected 1,470 buses and 975 of them were found to have brake problems and the tyres were in poor condition.
"The 1,470 buses were part of a group of 6,299 buses given the current conversion licences by Land Public Transport Commiassion in conjunction with Hari Raya," he said. -- BERNAMA