- Saiful Bukhari marries TV3 personality Nik Suryani Megat Deraman
- 20 ancient tombs unearthed near China's 3 Gorges reservoir
- 'Gerakan should go back to its basics'
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Uphold Constitution, says PM
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Vintage Apple computer auctioned off for $668,000
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- 'Anwar using Red Bean Army to incite hatred'
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Rosberg puts Mercedes on pole position for Monaco GP
- Malaysia targets 28 million foreign tourists next year - Nazri
- Introduction of SOSMA to replace ISA draws mixed reaction from law practitioners
- 260,000 jobs by year-end More
Ampang: A sales assistant was calm today after being sentenced to 25 years jail and seven strokes of the rotan for raping a schoolgirl in his mother's vehicle last year.
Sessions judge Roszianayati Ahmad passed the sentence upon 23-year old Khairul Ivan Iqmal Khairul Azizan Saw at the end of the Defence stage.
"The Defence has failed to raise reasonable doubt in the Prosecution's case," she said. Khairul, clad in white T-shirt, was seen whispering silently to himself during proceedings.
The judge condemned the accused's heinous crime, pointing to his taking the opportunity to rape the 15-year old girl when she was walking alone and pulling her into his mother's multipurpose vehicle(MPV).
"He must be kept away from the rest of society, especially young girls," she said. Khairul was charged with raping the teen in the white Toyota Alphard at the side of Jalan Kosas, here, around 11am on May 11, 2011.
The offence is punishable with a maximum 30 years imprisonment and whipping if convicted under Section 376(2) of the Penal Code. The judge ordered the jail sentence to begin today.
After sentencing, counsel Roslan Hassan applied for a stay of execution pending appeal. However, the court rejected the application. Twelve witnesses testified for the Prosecution while the Defence only called one witness.
Prosecution was conducted by Deputy Public Prosecutor Noor Fadzlin Abd Zawawi.