- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- PKR may postpone party election this November
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- Britain calls emergency meeting after man killed in London
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- Atheists are good if they do good, Pope Francis says
- Three people killed in road accident
- Police: 1 dead, 2 injured in attack in London
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader More
'Security forces enabled govt to focus on developing nation'
ALOR SETAR -- Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said the sacrifices made by the security forces in ensuring prevailing peace had enabled the goverment to focus on developing the nation.
He said development went on smoothly and the invaluable contributions of members of the security forces towards this were appreciated and recognised by the people.
"While we are fast sleep, members of the armed forces and police watch out for subversive elements out to destroy the country and gangs of criminals. Before the country's independence, they fought against the invaders and then against communist insurgents.
"But how big were the rewards they received? My presence here today is to give recognition to them," said Muhyiddin in his speech at 'An Evening with the Deputy Prime Minister' function with retirees from the armed forces, police and Prisons Department at the Royal Malaysian Air Force field in Kepala Batas, here, today.
He said the people should always be reminded to appreciate the fruit of independence as many countries did not turn out to be peaceful after independence from colonial rule due to civil war and turmoil, resulting in foreign power intervention. -- Bernama