- Saiful Bukhari marries TV3 personality Nik Suryani Megat Deraman
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- 20 ancient tombs unearthed near China's 3 Gorges reservoir
- Vintage Apple computer auctioned off for $668,000
- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- Suspected rebels injure India ruling party leaders
- FA Cup premier league results
- Malaysia targets 28 million foreign tourists next year - Nazri
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- UK police question alleged soldier killer's friend
- Google eyes Waze as Facebook targets hot Web maps property
- Reports: 27 indicted in Bari match-fixing inquiry
- Thousands throng temples nationwide More
KUALA LUMPUR: The Sepang International Circuit (SIC) that has been hosting numerous world class motor racing events for the last 13 years, went 'off track' by hosting the first wedding reception at its racing facilities on June 23.
The wedding involved a Malaysian couple – Ian Tian and Jasmine Low – penning their names in the history books of the SIC podium after exchanging their marriage vows.
True to the tagline ‘more than just a racing track’, SIC hosted the event at the roof-top of its pit-building under clear skies with the sun setting down at the horizon with the couple – both die-hard racing fans - donning racing gears instead of the traditional suit and gown.
"It’s undoubtedly special. Not just for the lovely couple but for us as well. We have always positioned SIC as a multi-faceted venue, not only motorsport but also non-motorsports events like this wedding reception," SIC Chief Executive Officer Datuk Razlan Razali said in a statement, today.
"We would like to wish Ian and Jasmine our heartfelt congratulations and hope that – 23rd June 2012 – will be an everlasting memory for them. It will definitely be one of our memorable moments for us at SIC," said Razlan.
The wedding packages at the circuit starts at RM150 nett per person with a minimum of 300 pax, including venue rental, basic decoration, food and beverage from a five-star hotel.
For Ian and Jasmine, Pan Pacific KLIA Hotel was the official caterer, where the hotel showcased its mobile kitchen counter at a wedding for the first time.
"The wedding package can be customised according to the customer's budget and they will have a choice of their preferred caterer," Razlan said.
According to Ian, the idea to have the wedding reception at the circuit was first mooted by a friend, who said SIC would be a perfect venue for him because he was a die-hard motor racing fan and that the circuit being one of the country’s most iconic venues.
"When we came to have a look at the venue, we have been told that SIC never hosted a wedding before. So, the idea of becoming the first couple to do so came across my mind and Jasmine agreed … we simply love the idea of being different compared with others," he said.
"We have been informed that during international events like F1 and MotoGP, the Perdana Suite is reserved only for the Royal and VVIP guests. We’re indeed very lucky to have the opportunity to celebrate our most memorable day there. We are very honoured," said the 26-year old Ian, from Johor Baru. -- BERNAMA