- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- Restaurant owner survives shooting
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- MCA's '3 kingdom' battle
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- Manhunt launched for bogus interpreter at Mandela’s memorial service
- 2nd Penang bridge to be opened in Feb 2014
- New-look Perdana is govt official car
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Celebrations on hold
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- 'Time to put the past behind us' More
JASIN: The mystery of a temple watchman missing since Dec 23 has been solved with the discovery of a human skeleton in a six-meter deep well at Lan Nam Xuen Temple in Kampung Pondok Batang, Sempang Bekoh, here today.
State Diving Unit head Arshad Mail said the search for the victim, Gan Kong Hwa, 61, carried out by 20 personnel from the state fire and rescue department's diving unit took more than an hour before the skeleton was recovered at about 1.30pm.
"We began the operation by pumping water from the well before starting the operation to retrieve the skeleton and the team succeeded in finding the skull and parts of the skeleton believed to be that of the victim," he said.
Meanwhile, Jasin acting police chief, DSP Shahidi Abdullah also confirmed the incident when contacted by reporters here.
The victim's friend, Lee Tat Kong, 52, who made a police report after finding items belonging to the victim near the well this morning, said he was alerted by the barking of dogs near the disused well on Wednesday at about 3pm.
Lee said when he approached the well, he found a pair of trousers, mobile phone and a pair of shoes belonging to the victim before making a police report at about 9.40am.
"I am very shocked to find the items which answered the mystery of the missing victim about six months ago," he told reporters when met here today.
He said a report on the missing victim was lodged by his family member on Jan 12 after the victim could not be found. BERNAMA