- Tun M: Why keep the Causeway?
- 54-year-old man first M'sian to die from MERS
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- Latest: More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub on second mission
- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- MH370 Tragedy: American Navy ship involved in SAR docks at Westport
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub aborts again
- MH370 Tragedy: Najib raps Anwar for absurd claims
- Russia rules artist who nailed scrotum to Red Square 'committed no crime'
- Suspected drug pusher held in raid, 51.5g heroin seized
- MH370 Tragedy: More countries offering help in SAR, says Hishammuddin
- MH370 Tragedy: If filed, lawsuits by families might not get heard in US
- India election: Bollywood urges voters to shun Modi's party
- Jaip enforment personnel assured of better security More
JAKARTA -- Dozens of people have been injured after a 6.2-magnitude quake jolted Aceh Province in the northern tip of Sumatra Island of Indonesia today, said local officials.
"There are dozens of people wounded here," Fauzi, head of local disaster management and mitigation agency in Benermeriah of Aceh Province, told China's Xinhua news agency via telephone from Benermeriah.
The quake struck at 14:37 p.m. Jakarta time (0737 GMT) with epicenter at 35 km southwest Benermeriah district of the province and with a depth of 10 km, Subagio, an official of the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency told Xinhua by phone.
The intensity of the quake was believed to be 3 to 4 MMI ( Modified Mercally Intensity) at Banda Aceh, Takengon, and Lhoksemawe, and 2 MMI at Medan the provincial capital of North Sumatra, he said.
"Report from local meteorology agency said that the second floor of a hospital collapsed," said Subagio. But he could not confirm the victims.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of National Disaster Management and Mitigation Agency, told Xinhua over phone that at least 10 houses were damaged.
Assessment of the risk of the quake is being conducted, he said. --- Bernama