- Saiful, Nik Suryani to tie the knot
- GST implementation to add up to RM27b to Malaysia's income
- ‘Opposition chaos agenda’ claim
- New Xbox more than a game console
- Clean water supply in Selangor, KL steadily decreasing: Syabas
- Small fire sends smoke into 787 cabin in Boston
- Chef detained in connection with wife's murder
- Malaysia can become great through balanced education: Idris
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Bumiputeras can now afford to be involved in equity investments: Shahrir
- MCA: Unwise not to join cabinet
- Bollywood bad boy Dutt held in 'terrorist' jail cell: report
- 6 people injured in bomb explosion in Sg Golok
- Cops refute Guan Eng's inaction claim
- Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen is the new President of BWF More
Sultan of Selangor visits former Health D-G Majid
KUALA LUMPUR: The Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, today visited Tan Sri Dr Abdul Majid Ismail, who was the director-general of health from 1971 to 1976, at his house in Jalan Langgak Duta here.
Sultan Sharafuddin enquired about the health of Abdul Majid, 90, who now has to be assisted to move about. Also present was Dr Abdul Majid's wife, Puan Sri Khairany Mahyuddin, 86.
Dr Abdul Majid is close to Sultan Sharafuddin and had served as chairman of the Society of Royal Datos of Selangor, said his son, Dr Aljafri.
He became the country's first local orthopaedic surgeon in 1958, and was appointed as the Health Ministry's planning and research director in 1969.
Dr Abdul Majid, the eldest of 10 siblings, was active in community organisations, and had served as chairman of the Heart Foundation of Malaysia and president of the Malaysian Council for Rehabilitation.
"We are touched that the Sultan of Selangor took the time to visit our father," Dr Aljafri told Bernama. -- BERNAMA