Syria rebels seize oilfield, down warplane

0 comments

DAMASCUS: Rebels seized a major oilfield and shot down a warplane in eastern Syria Sunday, a watchdog said, notching up new battlefield successes even as the opposition met in Qatar under US pressure for a makeover.

 

The rebel advances in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor came as warplanes  pounded their positions around Damascus and in the northern provinces of Aleppo  and Idlib.    
 
State media also reported that a blast near the Dama Rose Hotel in the  heart of the capital wounded 11 civilians. It blamed “terrorists,” the regime’s  term for armed rebels.    The hotel hosted UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi during his visits to  Damascus.    
 
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the seizure of the oilfield  was an opposition first since the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad’s  regime erupted in March 2011.    
 
“Rebels in the Jaafar Tayyar Brigade took control of Al-Ward oilfield, east  of the town of Mayadin, after a siege that lasted several days,” it said.    
 
“This is the first time the rebels have taken control of an oilfield,”  Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP.    
 
The fighting began at dawn and lasted several hours, said Abdel Rahman,  adding 40 soldiers were either killed, wounded or captured.    
 
The Observatory later said rebels in Deir Ezzor had shot down a warplane,  with initial reports indicating the pilot had been captured.    
 
Fighting also erupted near a political intelligence office in Damascus  province, the Observatory said, adding warplanes later carried out three raids  on the Ghuta region northeast of the capital.    
 
To the south of Damascus, eight civilians were killed by mortar fire in the  Yarmuk Palestinian camp, in clashes between the Popular Front for the  Liberation of Palestine-General Command and rebels, the Observatory said.    
 
An AFP correspondent in Aleppo province reported three air strikes in close  succession on the town of Al-Bab, with witnesses saying there were at least  four fatalities.    
 
One was 42-year-old engineer Adnan Hamza who had left home in the morning  to chair a civil council meeting and never saw his wife and three children  again.    
 
The Observatory gave an updated toll of at least 134 dead — 66 civilians,  41 soldiers and 27 rebels — nationwide on Sunday.    
 
The International Committee of the Red Cross, meanwhile, said it has  delivered humanitarian aid to the beleaguered districts of Khaldiyeh and  Hamidiyeh in the central city of Homs for the first time in months.    
 
The escalating conflict added urgency to a meeting of the Syrian National  Council in Qatar, with the United States reportedly pressing for a new umbrella  organisation to unite the country’s fractured regime opposition.    
 
According to the reports, which emerged after US Secretary of State Hillary  Clinton charged the SNC was not representative, long-time dissident Riad Seif  is touted as the potential head of a new government-in-exile dubbed the Syrian  National Initiative.    
 
But as the Doha meeting began, Seif denied planning to head such a  government.    “I shall not be a candidate to lead a government in exile... I am 66 and  have health problems,” he told reporters.    
 
SNC chief Abdel Basset Sayda denounced what he called “efforts to bypass  the SNC and numerous attempts to find substitutes” for the group, though he  recognised that some criticisms of it are “founded.”    
 
The SNC lashed out on Friday at alleged US interference, accusing  Washington of undermining the revolt and “sowing the seeds of division” by  seeking its overhaul.    
 
Clinton has called the SNC unrepresentative of on-the-ground opposition  forces and saying it “can no longer be viewed as the visible leader of the  opposition.”    
 
Sayda also argued military action against the regime must be “organised and  unified,” so various military groups battling the regime can form the “core of  the next Syrian army.”    
 
On the diplomatic front, French President Francois Hollande visited Lebanon  and Saudi Arabia, and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov flew to Cairo,  with Syria topping the agenda for both.    
 
Lavrov met Arab League chief Nabil al-Arabi, and both said afterwards that  they had agreed on the need to move forward.    
 
Israel’s armed forces chief Benny Gantz said meanwhile his country could  become involved in the conflict, as fighting raged on the Golan Heights.    
 
“This is a Syrian affair that could turn into our affair,” the army’s  website quoted him as saying.    
 
The Observatory says more than 36,000 people have died since the uprising  against Assad’s rule broke out in March 2011, first as a protest movement  inspired by the Arab Spring and then as an armed rebellion. AFP

Leave Your Comment


Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.