- Man sorry for assault on wife
- FLOOD: Flood victims at relief centres exceed 50,000
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- 11,000 go without power in Terengganu
- SHOWBIZ: More than OK
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Malaysia's national economic transformation initiatives won world's accolades
- DELIGHTFUL READ
- Tribute to King of Thailand
- Jln Cenderawasih permanently closed since Nov 15: DBKL
- Residents in Kuantan resuming daily routine
- East Timorese stone Australian embassy in spying row
- Why Umno must embrace social media faster
- Indian court orders fresh trial for Bollywood's Khan
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final More
Taxi driver gets 48 years' jail, 11 stroke for oral sex, robbery
KUALA LUMPUR: A taxi driver was sentenced to a total of 48 years' imprisonment and 11 strokes of the rotan today for oral sex and robbery offences involving two of his passengers.
M.Saravanan, 30, was also ordered to be placed under police supervision for three years upon completion of his jail term by
Sessions Court judge Emelia Kaswati Mohamad Khalid who ruled that the defence had failed to cast a reasonable doubt on the prosecution's case.
On the first charge, Saravanan was jailed 16 years and ordered to be given five strokes of the rotan for having oral sex with a 29-year-old woman.
On the second charge, he was sentenced to eight years' jail and one stroke of the rotan for robbing the woman of RM350, two mobile phones and a white gold necklace.
He committed the offences in a taxi in Jalan Metro Pudu 2, Fraser Business Park, here between 1.50am and 3am on July 19, 2010.
He received another 15 years' jail and four strokes of the rotan for having oral sex with another woman, 27, and nine years' jail and one stroke of the rotan for robbing her of RM1,700, a laptop, a mobile phone and a camera.
He committed the offences in a taxi near Jalan Sultan Salahuddin, off Jalan Mahameru here between 7.30pm and 9pm on July 9, 2010.
However, the court ordered the jail sentences to run concurrently from his date of arrest on June 16, 2011.
Saravanan is presently in the Kajang Prison after being sentenced to 12 years' jail and four strokes of the rotan by the Sessions Court here on April 5 on three charges, including molesting and robbing his passenger.
Earlier, deputy public prosecutor Ooi Chean Ling urged the court to impose a deterrent punishment, submitting that Saravan's action had tarnished the reputation of taxi drivers in Malaysia and damaged the country's security image among local citizens as well as foreign tourists. -- BERNAMA