Thief gets caught on own initiative


KUALA LUMPUR: Pictures taken on a stolen Galaxy Note which were later uploaded on Facebook, unwittingly revealed the identity of the thief.

The smart phone belonged to an accident victim and was taken by a person who went to his aid.

The thief later passed it on to his girlfriend who took pictures of herself, and unwittingly uploaded them on the accident victim’s Facebook account.

The victim Patrick Lim Teng Yew, 20, was shocked when a friend asked him how he could still upload photographs using his Instagram account, which he left logged-on on the stolen phone, when it was lost in the accident.

“I immediately went online and found out that a woman, who was later identified as the thief’s girlfriend, had accidentally used my Instagram account to upload her picture.

“The picture was then circulated all over the Internet with the help of my friends. A woman who declined to be identified then contacted me and revealed the girl’s name and her handphone number,” he said.

Instagram is a free photo sharing program, which allows users to take a photo and apply digital filter on it before sharing it on various social networking sites.

Lim said he met with an accident while driving along Jalan Shamelin in Cheras about 9pm Tuesday.

He rammed into a construction site’s barricade in a bid to avoid collision with a motorcyclist.

“That was when the thief offered to help reverse my car. I did not suspect anything, and forgot that I had put my phone in the compartment near the car’s hand-break.

“However, after he failed to move my car, the thief slipped away into a crowd. I only realised my phone went missing when he was nowhere to be found.”

The picture was uploaded on Lim’s Facebook account on Wednesday morning.

“The woman who contacted me also led me to the thief’s girlfriend Facebook account.

“From there I found out that her boyfriend was the thief. I recognised him as the person who offered to reverse my car,” he said.

When contacted last night, Lim said a cellular-phone reseller had called and told him the phone had been sold for RM1,000.

“He said a man went to his shop earlier yesterday and sold it.

“The man left immediately after receiving the money without registering his particulars,” said Lim.

Cheras police chief Assistant Commissioner Mohan Singh Tara Singh when contacted confirmed that police have received a report on the incident.

However, he declined to comment further as the case was still being investigated.

Leave Your Comment

Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.