- Taib's son spared jail as court strikes out ex-wife's contempt application
- African student shot dead near college in Mantin
- Hasni: We haven't lost our right
- Nintendo forecasts net loss, slashes Wii U sales target
- Xbox One makes hot debut as console war revs up
- Anwar found guilty of sodomy
- Couple to hang for murdering maid
- Billion-ringgit undersea cable project
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Anwar sodomy trial: Defence witness was not consistent with his testimony
- Home Ministry bans publication of 'Ultraman The Ultra Power'
- 2 German tourists assaulted in George Town
- PM: Malaysia hopes to develop stronger links with British industry
- Nation's interests before my own popularity, says Najib
- TV3 seeks review of defamation ruling by Appeals Court More
KAJANG: Two thieves were caught in the act by police as they and three others were in the midst of looting a petrol station in Semenyih here today morning.
In the 5.20am incident, five suspects armed with sharp weapons and a hammer broke into the 24-hour Petronas outlet’s convenience store after smashing its front glass door.
District deputy police chief Superintendent Azman Ayub said two Bangladeshi workers who were manning the station’s counter went into hiding after seeing the five suspects and immediately notified the police.
“The thieves started looting the convenience store, taking RM800 cash from the counter and several cartons of cigarette, among others.
“Responding to the distress call, a team of policemen on patrol arrived at the scene five minutes later and tried to apprehend the suspects,” said Azman.
Shocked with the police arrival, the suspects tried to flee from the scene.
However, two of them on a motorcycle were nabbed after they tried to ram into a police car.
“Three others fled on foot to a nearby area. We are scrutinising the station’s CCTV recordings to identify them,” he said.
Police seized all three motorcycles used by the robbers, including one which was reported stolen in Sungai Besi earlier this year. Other items seized were a hammer, screwdriver, steel rod, parang and car steering lock.
Azman said the two suspects nabbed are youths in their 20s, and they are being remanded to facilitate investigations.