- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- Universal shuts down 'Fast & Furious 7' production
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- Ustaz Kazim gives final verdict on Umno invite
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- Woman killed in crash
- Fly in for Penang food trail More
KEPALA BATAS: A timber factory in Jalan Dua here suffered at least RM2 million losses after an early morning fire razed its warehouse packed with palettes scheduled to be shipped to customers today.
The 12.30am fire also destroyed the factory's heavy machinery, its administration office and a double-storey workers' hostel.
The fire could had triggered a major disaster after a 500 litre diesel tank in the factory compound was leaked.
However, quick actions by the firefighters managed to contain the leak and prevented the fire from spreading to the other sections of the 2ha Jookee Timber factory.
State Fire and Rescue Department deputy director Mohamad Shoki Hamzah said 32 firefighters from the Kepala Batas, Butterworth and Prai rushed to the scene after getting a distress call about 12.50am.
He said they managed to contain the leaking at the diesel tank but the highly flammable timber products forced them to take about two hours before eventually putting out the fire.
Mohamad Shoki said no casualty was reported and the department's forensic team had started their investigation to ascertain the cause of fire.