- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- BANTING MURDER: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- PKR may postpone party election this November
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- Britain calls emergency meeting after man killed in London
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- S. Korean girl killed by suicide jumper
- Atheists are good if they do good, Pope Francis says
- Three people killed in road accident More
NIBONG TEBAL -- A bride and her mother-in-law were killed while three members of their family were injured when the car they were travelling in plunged into a drain at Km168.2 of the north-bound North-South Expressway, today.
Sabjit Kaur Soba Singh, in her 20s, and her mother-in-law, Rupinder Kaur Rejinder Singh, 56, died of head injuries at the scene in the 8am accident.
Sabjit Kaur, who was seated in the rear seat along with her mother-in-law and a sister-in-law, was thrown off the car when it was believed to have swerved to the left to avoid a lorry which had just overtaken it.
Bridegroom Alvinder Singh Mokhtiar Singh, 32, who was driving the car, and his father, Mohktiar Singh, in his 60s, who was seated in front, were slightly injured and given outpatient treatment at the Seberang Jaya Hospital.
However, Alvinder Singh's younger sister in her 20s, who was seriously injured, was admitted to the Sungai Bakap Hospital.
Seberang Perai Selatan police chief Supt Shafien Mamat, who confirmed the accident, said the family left Tronoh, Batu Gajah, Perak for Bukit Mertajam at about 6am to register Alvinder Singh and Sabjit Kaur's marriage.
The bodies were sent to the Sungai Bakap Hospital. -- BERNAMA