- MISSING MH370 : MAS 'lost contact' with plane carrying 239 people
- MISSING MH370 : Relatives, friends to gather at Beijing hotel
- MISSING MH370 : Massive search off south Vietnam coast
- MISSING MH370 : List of missing passengers
- MISSING MH370 : Statement from MAS chief executive
- MISSING MH370 : Previous MAS crashes and near misses
- MISSING MH370 : Pix gallery
- MISSING MH370 : Public urged not to speculate news
- MISSING MH370: Malaysia Airlines has one of Asia's best safety records
- MISSING MH370 : Plane has been missing for 13 hours now
- Anwar guilty of sodomy, gets five years jail
- MISSING MH370 : Pilot is Capt Zaharie Ahmad Shah
- MISSING MH370 : Family members keep vigil at KLIA
- MISSING MH370 : MAS refutes claims aircraft ran out of fuel
- MISSING MH370: Tears and fury as relatives wait for news of airliner More
Two fishermen sentenced to death for trafficking in cannabis
ALOR STAR: Two fishermen, one of them a Thai national, were sentenced to death by the High Court yesterday for trafficking in 9,589g of cannabis last year.
Judicial Commissioner Mohd Zaki Abdul Wahab ruled that the prosecution had proven a prima facie case against Abdul Aziz Yatim from Langakawi and Abdun Hamid Masman from Satun in south Thailand.
Abdul Aziz, 42, and Abdun Hamid, 44, were found guilty of committing the offence on an unregistered wooden fishing boat about 0.2 nautical miles from Kuala Jerlun near here at 12.20pm on Jan 9.
Mohd Zaki said the court found the defence given by the accused was unacceptable.
“Both the accused claimed that they were unaware of the cannabis which was found inside their rented fishing boat,” he said.
“However, the court finds it hard to believe the defence tendered by the accused.”
Deputy public prosecutor Wan Nor Hasnita Wan Daud prosecuted while counsel Rahmatullah Burhanuddeen appeared for both the accused.