- Rep: Recall all ICs from Project IC
- Nearly 1,000 villagers in Sibu left homeless in fire
- Singapore smog breaches 'hazardous' level
- Disabled woman, US child held captive with snakes
- One of 3 HK tourists injured in KK train accident, dies
- New MERS virus spreads easily, deadlier than SARS
- Tests find no trace of body tissue from wreckage
- Singapore, Indonesia to hold talks on smog crisis
- Baby abuse case: Yuliana was sane during incident, says report
- Britain's William and Kate do not know sex of royal baby
- 'CCTV images may yield clue on hawker's fate'
- Hawker's family views CCTV clip
- HK tourists hurt in train vs cars crash in KK
- Teen country singer Bradbery captures ’The Voice’ season crown
- Paris tackles rudeness to tourists with new manual More
TWU welcomes move to issue taxi permits to individuals
KUALA LUMPUR: The Transport Workers Union today welcome the government's move to issue taxi permits to individuals.
Its secretary-general, Tan Sri Zainal Rampak, said taxi drivers and the public should thank the government for the move.
He said this in response to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's announcement yesterday to do away with giving taxi licences to companies.
Zainal also thanked the government for the RM520 voucher for two pairs of tyres to taxi drivers.
"I hope this will make the taxi drivers to provide better service to their passengers," he added.
Yesterday, Najib announced an incentive of more than RM35 million for 67,000 taxi drivers in the country through the 1Malaysia People's Taxi (TR1Ma) programme. --BERNAMA