- CYCLING: Josiah in major crash
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- Spanish 'ghost' airport goes up for sale
- Teenage boy drowns after getting trapped in quicksand
- 5 killed in crash
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- 17 shoplots gutted in morning blaze
- Neocolonialism of our place names
- Petronas reports major gas find
- Rare riot shocks Singapore
- Egypt's General El-Sisi voted Person of the Year by Time readers
- Chinese-Brazilian satellite fails to enter orbit
- HOCKEY: Malaysian Juniors beat England 4-2 in New Delhi More
BAGAN DATOH: The Umno and Barisan Nasional (BN) information machinery need to be intensified including creating cyber troopers to counter the opposition's slander against the party and ruling coalition through the social media.
Umno vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the opposition was using the social media to attack and make wild accusations against Umno and BN in order to poison the people's minds.
"Therefore, Umno and BN need to get close to the social media users so that the issues can be clearly explained and the lies countered," he said after opening the Bagan Datoh Umno division Wanita annual meeting at Wisma Umno, here, today.
Ahmad Zahid who is also Defence Minister, said clear and accurate explanation was necessary as about 17 million of the country's 28 million population were more inclined to obtain information from the social media than mainstream media.
"I believe Umno and BN Youth can do this and there is already a small group of their cyber troopers now. I thank them for what they have done but we need more cyber troopers," he said.
Ahmad Zahid said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak himself had taken the initiative to answer the issues and questions raised through the social media.