- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- PKR may postpone party election this November
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- Britain calls emergency meeting after man killed in London
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- Atheists are good if they do good, Pope Francis says
- Three people killed in road accident
- Police: 1 dead, 2 injured in attack in London
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader More
BAGAN DATOH: The Umno and Barisan Nasional (BN) information machinery need to be intensified including creating cyber troopers to counter the opposition's slander against the party and ruling coalition through the social media.
Umno vice-president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the opposition was using the social media to attack and make wild accusations against Umno and BN in order to poison the people's minds.
"Therefore, Umno and BN need to get close to the social media users so that the issues can be clearly explained and the lies countered," he said after opening the Bagan Datoh Umno division Wanita annual meeting at Wisma Umno, here, today.
Ahmad Zahid who is also Defence Minister, said clear and accurate explanation was necessary as about 17 million of the country's 28 million population were more inclined to obtain information from the social media than mainstream media.
"I believe Umno and BN Youth can do this and there is already a small group of their cyber troopers now. I thank them for what they have done but we need more cyber troopers," he said.
Ahmad Zahid said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak himself had taken the initiative to answer the issues and questions raised through the social media.