- Muhyiddin: Arrest of 3 meant to safeguard peace
- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- BANTING MURDERS: Full Judgement
- Trio detained for making seditious remarks
- New passport improvement
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- BANTING MURDERS: Guilty verdict brings closure for victims' families
- BANTING MURDERS: Chronology of events
- Highway bridge collapses in US; people in water
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- End near if self denial continues
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- Siti Hanisah conquers world's highest peak
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club More
BERLIN: Europe’s biggest automaker Volkswagen said it will likely finalise the takeover of German luxury sports car group Porsche by August 1, paying 4.46 billion euros (US$5.58 billion) plus one VW share.
The two companies “agreed today on this concept,” VW said in a statement issued late Wednesday.
VW currently owns 49.9 per cent of Porsche, maker of the iconic 911 series of sports cars, and will acquire all of the remaining 50.1 per cent under the deal.
The agreement “is good for Volkswagen, for Porsche and for German industry,” VW and Porsche head Martin Winterkorn said in the statement.
VW said the deal will produce synergies worth 320 million euros, which will be shared equal between the two groups who had originally been expected to complete their alliance sometime between 2012 and 2014.
Porsche tried to take over VW in 2008 but the attempt failed and the luxury car maker was in turn saved by Volkswagen.
VW said it would hold a press conference at 0800 GMT Thursday at its headquarters in Wolfsburg. -- AFP