- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- Woman killed in crash
- Spain arrests man with vast child porn haul
- Malaysia shows improvement in Maths and Science More
PUTRAJAYA: Polytechnic students may now have a chance to expand their experience through a work-based programme with three major business entities, said the Higher Education Ministry.
The ministry's secretary-general Datuk Ab Rahim Md Noor said that the programme is to accommodate the training requirement for retail management programmes offered by polytechnics.
"With the support from these business entities, our aim to produce more executives in the retail industries will be accomplished.
"It will also motivate more applicants from school leavers as well as in the working field to choose this area of study to be their career choice in the future," he said.
The Ministry signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) yesterday with Carrefour Malaysia, Metrojaya Department Stores and Al Nur Foods Antarabangsa.
He said the programme is open for students from Metro Polytechnic, which is based in Kuala Lumpur, Kuantan and Johor Baru.
Rahim said 22 students have already been chosen to start their two-semester programme with Carrefour next month.
"These students will be placed in different branches around the Klang Valley and the polytechnic authorities will monitor their progress to mark their progress," he said.
Rahim added that collaboration between the ministry and private companies is one of the main agendas in the National Higher Education Strategic Plan and Action Plan.