- MISSING MH370: Fishermen find life raft near PD
- MISSING MH370: MAS 'shocked' by report on co-pilot
- MISSING MH370: Timeline of flight MH370
- MISSING MH370: Search for missing jet covers mountainous, forest areas
- MISSING MH370: Loud noise reported, believed linked to missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane
- MISSING MH370: Aviation expert suggests 6 reasons for disappearance
- MISSING MH370: Raja Bomoh arrives to help find missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Man claims possible sighting of airliner
- MISSING MH370: Vietnam scales down SAR
- UPDATE: Missing aircraft's pilot makes contact, rescue mission resumes
- MISSING MH370: China says SAR efforts expanded to land areas
- MISSING MH370: Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- MISSING MH370: RMAF chief denies military radar report
- MISSING FLIGHT MH370: Get a good communicator More
KUALA LUMPUR: A youth charged with rape was denied bail by the Sessions Court yesterday because of the rising trend where under-age victims withdraw their reports against alleged rapists who were out on bail.
Judge Emelia Kaswati Mohamad Khalid said this yesterday when she denied bail for Ahmat Fitra Bustami, 23, who pleaded not guilty to raping a 15-year old schoolgirl.
Deputy public prosecutor Nurdiana Mamat had proposed bail of RM20,000 with one surety, while the accused pleaded to be reduced to RM5,000. The judge then asked Ahmat if he knew where the victim lived.
Ahmat said he knew and that the victim was a friend, and that he had even sent her to school before.
"I regard her as my younger sister," he said.
The judge then asked if he knew the victim's parents, to which Ahmat said he did not.
"You have sent her to school but you don't know her parents. How come?" the judge questioned.
Ahmat replied that the victim had told him not to fetch her from her home for fear that her father might not approve.
Emelia Kaswati then said: "I will not allow you bail for now, not until the victim has given her evidence in court. This is because you know where she lives and might disturb her.
“Of late there has been a rise in instances where in rape cases involving underage victims, when the accused persons are out on bail, the victims usually withdraw their reports against them."
She then set April 9 for mention.
Ahmat was alleged to have committed the offence in the living room of his apartment in Jalan Langkawi, Setapak, about 2.30pm on Feb 26.