- Karpal Singh's Death: A picture of grief at the hospital
- Karpal Singh's Death: Tiger of Jelutong’s lust for political trailblazing
- Karpal Singh's Death: "I told him to only go back this morning", says Gobind
- Karpal Singh's Death: Bukit Gelugor MP killed in crash, son injured
- Paloh assemblyman, son injured, wife killed in accident
- Karpal Singh's Death: Tributes pour in
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Pix gallery day 2
- Karpal Singh's Death: He was St Xavier's Institution most illustrious son
- MH370 Tragedy: Approach may be reviewed if no concrete evidence: Hishammuddin
- Karpal Singh's Death: Coffee with less sugar, Karpal's favourite - Shop owner
- Karpal Singh's Death: Lorry driver relates fatal accident
- Plane may be intact on seafloor, says expert
- Karpal Singh's Death: Karpal's residence filled with mourners
- Karpal Singh's Death: He was a humble and good man, says ex-employee
- Karpal Singh's Death: Karpal's body arrives in Penang residence More
KUALA LUMPUR: A youth charged with rape was denied bail by the Sessions Court yesterday because of the rising trend where under-age victims withdraw their reports against alleged rapists who were out on bail.
Judge Emelia Kaswati Mohamad Khalid said this yesterday when she denied bail for Ahmat Fitra Bustami, 23, who pleaded not guilty to raping a 15-year old schoolgirl.
Deputy public prosecutor Nurdiana Mamat had proposed bail of RM20,000 with one surety, while the accused pleaded to be reduced to RM5,000. The judge then asked Ahmat if he knew where the victim lived.
Ahmat said he knew and that the victim was a friend, and that he had even sent her to school before.
"I regard her as my younger sister," he said.
The judge then asked if he knew the victim's parents, to which Ahmat said he did not.
"You have sent her to school but you don't know her parents. How come?" the judge questioned.
Ahmat replied that the victim had told him not to fetch her from her home for fear that her father might not approve.
Emelia Kaswati then said: "I will not allow you bail for now, not until the victim has given her evidence in court. This is because you know where she lives and might disturb her.
“Of late there has been a rise in instances where in rape cases involving underage victims, when the accused persons are out on bail, the victims usually withdraw their reports against them."
She then set April 9 for mention.
Ahmat was alleged to have committed the offence in the living room of his apartment in Jalan Langkawi, Setapak, about 2.30pm on Feb 26.