- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- Thousands throng temples nationwide More
COOKING shows seem to be very popular. Besides the MasterChef franchise series, there are many more titles on various channels, especially Asian Food Channel (Astro channel 703) and Food Network Asia (Astro channel 706).
Not to be left behind is Diva Universal (Astro Channel 702), which recently premiered Hot Guys Who Cook.
Who doesn’t love a man (sizzling hot to boot) who knows his way around the kitchen?
The show features 18 hand-picked hunks from across Asia in six episodes (three hunks per show).
I caught an episode which featured Henry Golding (TV host, model and actor), Victor Basa (a Filipino model, actor and TV host) and Bobby Tonelli (an American actor who has been living in Singapore for four years).
The three invited audiences into their kitchens as they showed off their cooking skills, along with a generous serving of toothy smiles, flexed muscles and wonderful sense of humour.
Henry cooked his favourite roast chicken dish perfectly, while Victor whipped up a crispy prata and Bobby made a cheese burger from scratch.
What makes this show different from the rest is the nugget of information shown on screen — Food Facts as well as Hunk Facts. Find out interesting facts about each hot guy and the food he is preparing. Or just ignore the recipes and feast your eyes on their ripped bodies underneath that shirt.
While slaving over the stove, the hunks tell endearing stories about the recipes and cooking anecdotes, besides sharing a little about themselves.
Henry may be already popular on our shores, but many may not know who Bobby and Victor are. So, the little trivia about them helps.
I don’t think they cook much, given their busy schedule, but they seem like professionals in the kitchen.
And then came the tasting part, where they eat their own meals and naturally give themselves (and their dishes) the thumbs up.
A good garnish (to add colour) finishes off the look of a dish. But in this episode, the unadorned dishes did not do much to whet my appetite.
It would be nice if the recipes were shown on the screen for those who cannot cook and the half-hour episode was too short to feature three dishes.
But it was fun to watch. Of the three celebrities, Victor appeals the most with his sharp wit and charming personality. Oh, and what a great bachelor pad he has.
One thing for sure, the show fulfilled women’s two guilty pleasures — handsome men and delicious food. It’s a feast for the eyes and the appetite. This is a must-watch delicious series... and girls, the real meat is not on the plate.
Hot Guys Who Cook is aired on Diva Universal every Monday at 9pm.