- Police denied photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Mother and two-month-old baby died in after ramming into an electric pole
- Respect rule of law, Karpal urged
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Epileptic woman who stayed alone found dead
- “I thought I knew him...”
- SUDIRMAN CUP: Kim Her stands by fading pair
- Police solved Pakistani murder
- Water woes for KL, Selangor folk
- Zahid: Probe into Lahad Datu intrusion completed
- Jeruk Pak Ali eyes Mecca market More
With temperatures reaching 33°C in the city, it’s getting harder to fall asleep. Syida Lizta Amirul Ihsan suggests ways to stay cool without air-conditioning
1. Open the windows
Assuming that it is safe to do so, this will increase ventilation and allow outside air in, which will bring indoor temperatures down.
2. Cotton on
Wearing light cotton sleep wear will help you keep cool throughout the night as sweat is easily absorbed by the material.
3. Change bedsheets often
When you sweat, bacteria is trapped in your bedsheet and pillows. During the hot season, it’s a good idea to put fresh ones on every few days for better sleep.
4. Fan and ice
If you have a table fan, place a bowl of ice cubes on a chair, with the fan blowing towards the chair and your bed. This will mimic the cold air of air-conditioning, at least until the ice melts. Hopefully, you are asleep by then.
5. Wet the curtains
If your curtains are of light fabric, hang them, damp and newly-washed, just before you sleep so the outside air blows against them and keeps the inside air cool.
6. Sleep downstairs
Simple science teaches us that warm air rises, so it is cooler to sleep downstairs.
7. Take a shower
Take a short shower with lukewarm water before bed to bring down body temperature. Otherwise, wipe your body down with a cool towel.
8. No evening workouts
If evening exercise is your routine, it’s time to change it. Working out will elevate your body temperature, making it even harder for you to get your beauty sleep soon after.
9. Wear socks
Wet ones, that is. Soak a pair of cotton socks in cold water, wring until damp and put it on. Cooling your feet helps bring down overall body temperature.
10. Avoid spicy food
Avoid spicy food and beverages with caffeine before going to bed. A better option is a glass of milk or water.