- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- MCA's '3 kingdom' battle
- Restaurant owner survives shooting
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- 2nd Penang bridge to be opened in Feb 2014
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- New-look Perdana is govt official car
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- Celebrations on hold
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- Manhunt launched for bogus interpreter at Mandela’s memorial service
- 2013 SEA GAMES: 8th day results involving Malaysia
- 'Time to put the past behind us' More
The food pyramid offers the best diet guide for breastfeeding mothers. Shuhada Elis gets some tips from Lam Wah Ee Hospital chief dietitian Khoo An Jo
1 - Choose whole grain foods. Instead of white rice, pick brown rice.
2- Eat different types of vegetables and have two to three servings per day. Green leafy vegetables, like spinach, are a good source of folic acid.
3- Take two servings of fruit every day. Breastfeeding mothers can even have durian, but make sure you drink enough water after.
4- Eat more protein, like chicken and beef as they provide iron and zinc.
5 -For calcium, cow’s milk and soybean milk are the best choices.
Grill, not fry
6 - Eat less fried and fatty foods. Choose to grill or steam instead.
No to sweet drinks
7 - Avoid sugary or carbonated drinks and take plain water instead. Eight glasses of water per day is a minimum.
8 - Buy healthy snacks when you shop for groceries and prepare your own food to bring to the workplace.
Cut the coffee
9 - Lower your caffeine intake. Alcohol is also a big ‘no’ for breastfeeding mothers.
Stub the habit
10 - Avoid smoking as the chemicals inhaled can affect milk content.