- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- AirAsia may order 50 more Airbus jets - CEO
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Potential water crisis in Selangor, KL, Putrajaya from July 2014
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US More
The food pyramid offers the best diet guide for breastfeeding mothers. Shuhada Elis gets some tips from Lam Wah Ee Hospital chief dietitian Khoo An Jo
1 - Choose whole grain foods. Instead of white rice, pick brown rice.
2- Eat different types of vegetables and have two to three servings per day. Green leafy vegetables, like spinach, are a good source of folic acid.
3- Take two servings of fruit every day. Breastfeeding mothers can even have durian, but make sure you drink enough water after.
4- Eat more protein, like chicken and beef as they provide iron and zinc.
5 -For calcium, cow’s milk and soybean milk are the best choices.
Grill, not fry
6 - Eat less fried and fatty foods. Choose to grill or steam instead.
No to sweet drinks
7 - Avoid sugary or carbonated drinks and take plain water instead. Eight glasses of water per day is a minimum.
8 - Buy healthy snacks when you shop for groceries and prepare your own food to bring to the workplace.
Cut the coffee
9 - Lower your caffeine intake. Alcohol is also a big ‘no’ for breastfeeding mothers.
Stub the habit
10 - Avoid smoking as the chemicals inhaled can affect milk content.