CRY FOR HELP:Single mother club’s president claims pleas for meeting with Shah Alam mayor ignored
ANGGERIK Wawasan Single Mother's Club is crying foul over the demolition of 29 stalls at Kompleks Muhibbah's open space in Section 24, near here, by Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) enforcers yesterday.
Club chairman Horyatun Aini Abdullah said she was disappointed with MBSA's hasty action, which she described as cruel, considering the stalls were the source of income to help single mothers, some of whom were abused by their husbands and had nowhere else to turn to.
"Single mothers in this area depended on the stalls to help them buy their daily necessities including milk for their children.
"Now that the stalls have been demolished, how can we earn money?" cried Horyatun at the scene of the demolition recently.
Horyatun admitted that she did not have a business licence and permit to construct a premises from the authorities but argued that the demolition should not have been carried out as the land had been endowed by the Sultan of Selangor Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah for orphans, single mothers and senior citizens.
She said MBSA's excuse that the stalls were built without permit was unacceptable as the club had already approached the local council to obtain a construction permit before hiring a contractor.
Their application, however, was turned down because MBSA demanded that a more proper structure be built.
"We have borrowed capital from Amanah Ikhtiar Malaysia (AIM), and we still have to pay the money we borrowed after the demolition," she said.
Horyatun also expressed her regret that Shah Alam mayor Datuk Mohd Jaafar Mohd Atan had refused to meet them to listen to their appeal.
"I have tried to meet him many times at the MBSA office but he refused to see me even though all I asked from him was three minutes," she said.
Meanwhile, MBSA corporate deputy director Shahrin Ahmad when contacted, said MBSA decided to demolish the stalls after discovering that they were built on state government land without authorisation from MBSA.
He said MBSA had given the operators a week's notice from March 20 to take down the stalls themselves before the demolition was carried out.
"We the extended the notice for them but no action was taken and we had to move in and demolish the stalls," he said.
He said the operators have breached the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974 (Act 133) for building unauthorised structures and Town and Country Planning Act for carrying out development without approval.