Many sporty watches appeal to both sexes, but these gadgets will set the geeks and exercise junkies apart, writes Siti Syameen Md Khalili
SpyNet Night Vision Mission Video Watch
1. PRICED at US$24.99 (RM78.93), this toy-like watch is no child’s play. With capabilities to record 20 minutes worth of video, audio (four hours) and photo (2,000), the device connects via USB for files transfer. Users may also review files recorded on the device itself. Outside spy mode, this watch tells time and doubles up as a gaming console. Available at www.thinkgeek.com.
Nike+ SportWatch GPS
2. WITH GPS functionality supplied by TomTom, users can keep track of speed, distance, heart rate (with optional sensor) and calories burned. Available at www.amazon.com for US$169.99.
ThinkGeek Bluetooth Watch
3. APART from telling time, this watch helps users stay discreet in meetings and cinemas. Once paired and updated, the watch works with iPhones and other smartphones to display caller ID, notify SMS received and even lets users mute a call by the push of a button. Priced at US$79.90 at www.thinkgeek.com.
Casio Classic Calculator Watch
4. SOLD at US$18.99 at www.thinkgeek.com, this retro-looking, splash-resistant wrist companion offers a clock, stopwatch, calendar and eight-digit calculator. Perfect for those seeking the 70s and 80s look.
5. SIMPLY insert your SIM card and this mobile phone watch will be ready to help you make and receive calls, offer handsfree dialling and speed dialling to up to nine numbers. Once recharged using USB connectivity, the battery offers 6 hours of talk time. If you feel funny talking into your wrist a la Mission Impossible, a headset is included for handsfree usage. STG84.99 at www.iwantoneofthose.com.
Watch Mobile Phome M860
9. PRICED at RM595 at www.moresales.com.my, this little gizzmo supports not one but two SIM cards! It also features a 1.3 megapixel camera, audio player function and Bluetooth and USB connectivity.
Phosphor Unisex DH03 Digital Hour
6. THOUGH the Phosphor Unisex DH03 Digital Hour E-INK Curved Metal Band watch may be just a watch, what makes it geeky is its E-INK electronic paper display that offers super fine resolution for smooth and crisp character. This watch also offers alarm and calendar features and works 50m under water. Available at www.amazon.com for US$195.00.
7. ACTIVE users will find the rugged MOTOACTV useful. This sports watch combines GPS and MP3 player to help make walking, running and cycling fun with 8GB worth of music while keeping track of your workout. Available at www.amazon.com for US$214.99.
Caller ID Photo Watch
8. ABLE to keep 1,000 phone contacts and 120 photos, this watch pairs with Bluetooth-compatible phones to offer caller ID with photo display so that users know immediately who is calling. It also alerts users when the paired phone is separated 9m away from the watch. Available at www.hammacher.com for US$149.95.
MP4 Watch AD666
10. SOLD at www.moresales.com.my for RM87.50, AD666 comes with 1.5-ich LCD and 3.5mm plug with earphones to deliver video in AVI format, photo in HPG, BMP and GIF format, music in WMA, WAV and MP3 formats as well as FM radio. Also offers alarm and calendar functionality.