Annual tech showcase CommunicAsia 2012 ended last week at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore, with lots of exciting announcements. Izwan Ismail picks 10 new gadgets
Panasonic Toughpad A1
1. If you want a tablet that can survive the most rugged working condition, consider the feature-rich Toughpad A1 from Panasonic. Combining data and device security with seamless connectivity, this tablet is water-proof and dust-resistant. Available soon. Details at www.panasonic.com.sg/toughbook.
2. Tough and rugged seem to be the order of the day. This Android-based smartphone from British manufacturer Seals Technologies is designed to survive any working condition. It’s submersible, shock-resistant, dust-proof and offer features such as pedometer, altimeter, extreme temperature resistant and acoustic noise cancelling technology. Details at www.sealstech.co.uk
3. The name Titan suggests that this Gingerbread Android smartphone is not an ordinary one. You can hammer a nail with it and the 2mm Gorilla glass will stay intact without a crack or even a scratch. It’s waterproof and dust-proof too. Priced at US$350 (RM1,105). Details at www.techfaithwireless.com.
4. While most manufacturers have taken the sophisticated route in their phone designs, US-based Fone has decided to make it simple with its Fone phone. It looks like the mobile phones of the early days but with quite advanced features, like enhanced voice quality, one-touch feature, easy to read and dual SIM function. Details at www.fonephone.
5. China -based ZTE, which normally plays at the back-end of the telco equipment market, has moved up with its range of smartphones, like the Tania. This Windows Phone 7 device offers a 4.3-inch TFT TP capacitive screen and a 1400mAh battery. Details at www.zte.com.cn.
JD Sound Atra
6. This is no ordinary turntable is from Korean startup company JD Sound. Atra is very small, about half the size of an A4 paper. It’s portable too and fits nicely in your bag. You can connect it wirelessly to speakers. Priced at US$600. Details www.jdsound.co.kr.
7. With the increase in the number of on-the-road accidents, having a device to record what’s happening in front of the driver is handy. GreenCam by Korean-based Green-T does just that. This lipstick-sized camera records everything in HD resolution and comes with a bright aperture F1.8 lens. It can also withstand temperatures of between -40 to 50 degree Celcius.
Mirico Gas Detector
8. If you work in a gas-prone area, this small device can be a life saver. Connect it to your Android or iPhone and it will detect and measure the type of gas in your environment and give the analysis on your phone. Priced at US$200. Details at www.mirico.net.
9. No, this matchbox-sized gadget doesn’t disperse cash, but juices up your smartphones in times of need. With a large power capacity (5200mAh), this baby is compatible with iPhones, iPods, Samsung, HTC, Blackberry and more. A handy device to bring everywhere. Details at www.powerocks.com.
Samsin SBT-9000 Earphone
10. TIRED of using wired earphones? Check out this Bluetooh earphone which you can bend according to your head size. It’s sweat-and-water resistant too. It connects to your phone via Bluetooth. Details at www. ssinno.com.