Explosion causes fire to restaurant at Maju Junction Mall
KUALA LUMPUR A restaurant caught fire while a coffee shop was damaged by an explosion, believed caused by gas leak at Maju Junction Mall in Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman here, last night.
Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (Operations) Azizan Ismail said the incident at about 11.35pm shattered glass in the
restaurant and damaged kitchen utensils in the coffee shop. He said two fire engines rushed to the scene after receiving a distress call at 11.40pm and managed to put out the fire on the ground floor of the building.
"The incident may be caused by leakage from the centralised gas system used for cooking. We have yet to determine the losses incurred," he said when
contacted today. Azizan said no one was injured in the explosion, the second involving shopping centres within two months. Maju Junction Mall spokesman Ismawati Mohd Shah said the shopping centre has been closed for cleaning and will reopen tomorrow.
On Sept 28, gas explosion destroyed a restaurant at Empire Shopping Gallery in Subang Jaya, causing hurt to four people. -- Bernama