IMPROPER' SITES: Authorities can seek help from IT experts to block sites that can cause racial discord
KUALA LUMPUR: IT is possible for the authorities to block websites deemed improper and can cause racial disharmony, according to information technology experts.
SharePoint Lead specialist Kumaran Munusamy said China had blocked a number of sites, and authorities should seek the assistance of IT experts to do so.
"It can be done, as proven in China," he told the New Straits Times.
He added that the main network provider, TM, could block Internet users from accessing a link. China, for instance, had blocked Facebook, among other sites.
Kumaran added that IT experts could also come up with a list of "blacklisted keywords" to prevent certain videos to be accessed.
"The videos may be searchable with related words, and this list can help block all the videos from being viewed," he said.
Commenting on a film titled The Real Life of Muhammad and Muhammad Movie trailer uploaded on YouTube last month which had angered Muslims worldwide, network engineer Gajendran Subramaniam said the government could get contact YouTube administrator to bring down the link.
"But it is not possible to block the video altogether because the authorities will have to block YouTube as a whole."
The film, initially titled Innocence of Bin Laden, was reportedly shown only once to a small audience at a rented theatre in Hollywood, but was uploaded on YouTube last month.
On Sunday, Google Malaysia blocked access to the anti-Islam movie clip that insulted Prophet Muhammad and Islam.
A local YouTube spokesman was reported as saying that the 13-minute trailer on Innocence of Muslims, a low-budget American movie allegedly produced by Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, a Coptic Christian, was blocked following complaints by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
MCMC was reported to have asked Google on Saturday to remove the movie clip.
Google has also banned access of the film in Libya, Indonesia, Egypt and India, but refused to take it down, citing that it was widely available on the Web.
Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim described YouTube as being insensitive to the Muslims worldwide by not removing the film from its listing altogether.