KUALA TERENGGANU: This will be a sad Hari Raya for 14-year-old Mohd Badri Safie and his family -- all because he lost two fingers in a firecracker mishap last Thursday.
Instead of enjoying the festival at home with his family and friends, the boy will probably celebrate it in hospital.
The third of six siblings from Kampung Pulau Serai, Dungun, said a friend had bought the mercun bola and he was trying to light the fuse when it exploded in his right hand.
"The fuse burned too fast and the firecracker exploded before I could throw it away.
"There was a loud bang and I saw my middle finger being blown off while my index digit was dangling," he said, when met at Sultanah Nur Zahirah hospital, yesterday.
Badri said he was too stunned to think about looking for his missing finger.
His father Safie Khalid, 45, said he cried when he saw his injured son and also later when the doctors had to cut off the stumps.
"It makes me sad to hear him moan in pain when he can't sleep at night.
"I hope this will serve as a lesson to him."
In Alor Star, Kedah police warned parents of the risk of allowing their children to play with firecrackers and other banned fireworks.
Kedah police chief Datuk Ahmad Ibrahim said parents could face RM10,000 in fines or seven years' jail or both under Section 8 of the Explosives Act 1957.
"This is the last resort in our fight against the sale and playing of illegal fireworks," he said at the Kacau Dodol programme in conjunction with Hari Raya at Kedah police contingent here yesterday.