Hot Topics: Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

Villagers sue dept, Selangor govt

0 comments

SHAH ALAM: A total of 179 families from Kampung Seri Aman, Batang Berjuntai, Kuala Selangor, sought a judicial review yesterday on the Selangor government and Kuala Selangor Land and Mines Department's decision to revoke the approval for their residential site.

The families, represented by Kamarudin Ahmad, filed the application at the Shah Alam High Court's registry yesterday.

Kamarudin said the families, who were mostly manual labourers, estate workers, lorry drivers and hawkers, had been living in the village even before Malaysia achieved independence.

"They have been squatting on the land for more than 60 years.

"The previous state government, which was led by Barisan Nasional, had in a letter dated April 18, 2007, approved the settlers' applications to own the land after they paid a premium of RM1,000 per lot," he said outside the High Court yesterday.

Kampung Seri Aman resident S. Valliy, 45, claimed that the department had been rejecting the premium payments since Pakatan Rakyat took over the state in 2008.

She said the department had also issued a letter on Feb 14, inviting new applicants to a balloting process on Feb 18 for the lots of land, adding that the settlers were not given a chance to take part in the balloting.

Kamarudin said this indirectly showed that the Selangor government had revoked the previous land approval given to the 179 families.


Related Articles

Leave Your Comment


Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.