KUALA LUMPUR: The government will invite tender from companies interested in taking over the beef cattle rearing project, National Feedlot Corporation (NFC), said Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Minister Datuk Seri Noh Omar.
He said the government was serious to ensure that the project could go on as proposed previously. He said the proposal to invite other companies to carry on the project had been announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak previously and his deputy, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had been asked to ensure that the project was continued.
"We have appointed an independent auditor because we are serious (to see that the project continues). We are also in the second stage of the process, that is to invite tenders for the project to be continued by any company that is interested," he said when winding up the motion of thanks on the Royal address for the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry at the Dewan Rakyat today.
The issue on the NFC, which was headed by Datuk Seri Dr Mohamed Salleh Ismail, cropped up when it was alleged to have misused the government allocation of RM250 million for the beef cattle rearing project.
On March 12, Dr Mohamed Salleh, the husband of Women, Family and Community Development Minister Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, pleaded not guilty at the Sessions Court here to two counts or criminal breach of trust involving RM49.7 million with regard to the purchase of two condominium units and two other charges under the Companies Act. -- Bernama