RM16mil for Terengganu's 21,218 victimsBy - 11 January 2017 @ 3:53 PM
KUALA TERENGGANU: A total of RM16mil will be disbursed to 32 state constituencies as part of the flood rehabilitation effort for Terengganu’s 21,218 victims.
Announcing this, Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman said that the victims, from 655 families, have been placed in 209 relief centres since floods inundated mainly rural areas from Nov 29 last year to Jan 9, 2017.
The most severe flooding occurred over 12 days from Dec 31 last year.
“Our priority is to repair damaged homes, while a maximum of RM40,000 will be allocated to build new ones for those who have totally lost their homes.
“This is in addition to the RM500 from the state and an equal amount from the federal government as immediate welfare aid for the victims,” he said after unveiling the Terengganu hockey and soccer team jerseys at Wisma Darul Iman today.
Razif added that the state government had in its reserves an allocation of RM1mil for each of the 32 state constituencies but only RM500,000 per constituency would be disbursed as per the requirement.
While all flood relief centres has since been closed, the authorities will stay alert as the monsoon season lasts till March. All relevant agencies, said Razif, will be on standby to undertake preventive and remedial measures.
Meanwhile, the state’s hockey and soccer teams will be officially revealed this Saturday at Gong Badak, Kuala Nerus.