- GST implementation to add up to RM27b to Malaysia's income
- ‘Opposition chaos agenda’ claim
- Saiful, Nik Suryani to tie the knot
- New Xbox more than a game console
- Small fire sends smoke into 787 cabin in Boston
- Clean water supply in Selangor, KL steadily decreasing: Syabas
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Chef detained in connection with wife's murder
- Malaysia can become great through balanced education: Idris
- MCA: Unwise not to join cabinet
- Bollywood bad boy Dutt held in 'terrorist' jail cell: report
- Bumiputeras can now afford to be involved in equity investments: Shahrir
- Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen is the new President of BWF
- Cops refute Guan Eng's inaction claim
- 6 people injured in bomb explosion in Sg Golok More
THE employment contracts of 71 general workers attached to schools in Perak have been renewed.
Their contracts, which are renewed yearly, expired in December.
"We were unemployed for two-and-a-half months after our contract expired," said workers representative Jamaludin Bahari.
"Many of us had been working for 15 years and we could not find other jobs," he said at a thanksgiving ceremony at the State Broadcasting Department Complex, here, recently.
He thanked Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, who is also the education minister, for helping them out of their predicament.
The workers received their letters of re-employment on March 15.
"We hope our contracts will be renewed annually or twice a year until we reach our retirement age," Jamaludin said.
The workers had called in to the Deme Tanya, Pak Ngah Jawab (They Ask, Pak Ngah replies) programme which is aired on Perak FM radio station to bring attention to their plight.
Pengkalan Baru assemblyman Datuk Hamdi Abu Bakar who is fondly known as Pak Ngah is the host of the programme.
Hamdi, who is the state government information chief, said he had raised the matter with Muhyiddin who then promised to solve the problem. The state Education Department also submitted an appeal to the Education Ministry.
Also present were Perak Broadcasting Department director Kham Siah Hindon Md Said and Perak Education Department representative Ismail Ebrahim Ebrahim.